Author Topic: WinXP hangs on reboot after latest update  (Read 2846 times)

papadeltasierra

WinXP hangs on reboot after latest update
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
Updated Avast as prompted.  Rebooted as prompted.  Now looking at a blank blue screen with cursor.  Note this is the "just before Explorer/icons screen appears" and not BSOD.  Can someone remind me how I fix this and can Avast please fix this bug because this is the second update that's done this and the next time it happens, I'll be uninstalling Avast from any PC I work on.

I'm very disappointed that this previously high class product now suffers from such a crass error.

itsfuzzy

Re: WinXP hangs on reboot after latest update
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
Exact same issue here on Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit. My dad updated from free to the security suite. It then wouldnt update properly. So i chose uninstall, then repair option. It stated that it had completed and i need to restart. I did that and when i log into my dads user account, i only have the windows wallpaper, no taskbar , no icons, windows + r , or Ctrl, Alt + Del dont work. If i load in safe mode it is ok, but wont let me uninstall avast! How do i fix this?

papadeltasierra

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
Try this - reboot and keep pressing F8 until the choice of a Safe boot comes up.  After Windows boots, open Control Panel, Add/Remove software and uninstall Avast.

Unhelpfully the Avast uninstall GUI is so large it doesn't fit on the recovery 640x480 screen - select install and move the screen to press the button hidden bottom right.

After uninstalling Avast, my PC reboots.  Now installing MSE - had enough of this from Avast as this is the second upgrade that did this.  I've got better things to do with my evenings.  No longer a user, won't be recommending :-(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
If you've done continual updates over one another then maybe try a clean install by running the avast removal tool in safemode and reinstalling fresh, also a good idea to make sure you have completly removed all traces of other AV's used in the past to eliminate conflicts - all removal tools can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

itsfuzzy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
Great thanks for both replies. Ill try the safe mode and uninstall tool, i just hope when i re boot i dont get the empty screen and no icons and taskbar! Ill keep you posted.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
i just hope when i re boot i dont get the empty screen and no icons and taskbar!
If you do not want icons and taskbar, then you need to do a Custom Install of Avast.  You have options on how you want to install.  If there are things you do NOT want to install, always select Custom to opt out.  This also includes Chrome...there are 2 boxes in the lower left corner of the install screen that are checked by default that you can unclick if you do not want Chrome.

READ before you click on every installation of any product you install on your machine.  But Custom install is the way to go.  Remember to reboot after you install and before using your product.