Author Topic: AVAST 4 tested in Germany's most important Computer Magazine (c't)  (Read 23416 times)

DukeNukem

Re: AVAST 4 tested in Germany's most important Computer Magazine (c't)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
By default I think Avast on access scanner should be set to high.

And if users are getting a significant performance hit then they can change their settings.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 03:39:31 PM »
avast! 4.5 is already using modified sensitivity settings (On-Copy is now active by default)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

John-

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 07:31:43 PM »
On the other hand you have many types of Internet users who need different kinds of protection

- people who only use the Internet to send and receive emails
- people who only chat all the time (and there many like those)
- peopel who run their pc all day, all week,...a whole month or more,... and download often.

the first category of people will have enough with the standard setting I think, while other prefer the high setting,....

mantra

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 11:50:14 AM »
i think alwil shoud improve the virus database
the other company like drweb and kaspersky add every days ton of virii

by the way i'm an avast guy

John-

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
Well, on my machine it updates at least 2 times a week,...miminum,...
I do not check it that much,...cause when I am at work I use MacOS X Panther,...so no compatible Avast soft for this OS.

I might agree with you Mantra if you say that other AV's add new virusses every day,...
NOD32 seems to update very fast daily,..

Maybe indeed there should be more frequent updates,...daily,....if possible!

However I do not know how the updates are scheduled at Alwil.
As for me Avast! caught all the virusses I received by email and I haven't got any single virus yet!
I admit,...I have scanned my PC with trials of other AV's to test if Avast is doing its job!  ;D (no offence Alwil,..but this is just to find any leaks) and things seem virus-free,...so,...

If you have the pro,..you have the so called "push updates" (if I remember correctly),...faster updates,....

However one tiny question towards the programmers perhaps:
-> What is meant by: "Standard update"?  Are it just trojans and little viruses who are not that dangerous?
Cause when newer virusses like Zafi-D are added, it is mentioned in the emails I receive from Alwil.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 07:32:50 PM »
Alwil is updating the vps about twice a week. This is the standard update and does contain 'minor' malware.
If there is a outbreak from something that is a real huge threat to systems, a 'emergency' update will be released, normally with a few minutes after detection.

When you receive the 'emergency' update depends on several things. Lets say you are connected to the net permantly or are busy and spend a couple of hours on the net without disconnecting. With the standard settings in Avast, Avast is checking every 4 hours for updates. So if Avast checks for an update and one minute after that a 'emergency' update is released, it can take 3H 59m before you recieve it.

When a real threat is detected, this (normally) will be on (most?) website of av vendors within minutes after detection as well as on many news sites. So if you want to receive the update a.s.a.p., you can always run a manual update for the vps.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 07:37:27 PM by Eddy »

GYL

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2005, 07:43:01 PM »
 I think the best test for me is that i've never had any virus since using avast (one year) with sygate  .And following  advices of the OLD users  on this forum (excuse for the ""olds").
Many people aroud me with Greats av ,alaways spreak about their last virus....but are too snobs for using a free av....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 04:08:51 AM »
I am a bit surprised about the people from virusbtn, being unable to setup the program.

I doubt that anyone is using antivirus perfectly out-of-the box without changing at least one setting. So comparing AVs on default settings is stupid. That should be mentioned in test if the tester insists on such testing philosophy.

We TOLD him multiple times that on-copy scanning must be enabled manually - but he insisted to test the program ONLY with default settings :-\ :-X).

I'm happy that, for the first time, I blamed here against this tests and I have the support of the others... I mean, the tester must know the program it's managing... Ok, if he wants to see what the 'first' look of the program is, ok, now avast will let it see  8)

Thanks Vlk... You allowed our 'fanatism' at least once  8)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 04:50:38 AM »
Only once Technical? Oh, come on, give the good fellow a break and allow him twice :D

He and all the others at Alwil deserve that (at least). ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 04:51:55 AM »
Only once Technical? Oh, come on, give the good fellow a break and allow him twice :D

He and all the others at Alwil deserve that (at least). ;)

Yeah  ;D 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 07:21:31 AM »
Move to General Topic section
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 09:02:54 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

mantra

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 07:28:51 AM »
I might agree with you Mantra if you say that other AV's add new virusses every day,...
NOD32 seems to update very fast daily,..

grunger but the nod32 update are fast like avast? incremental or download the full pattern?

General Failure

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 10:41:54 AM »
Hi,

here are my 0,02€ on that topic.

If you test multiple virus scanners the only option is to install them and let them run in their standard out-of-the-box config because this is the only way to get comparable results.
Another point is, that a lot of users will never change the config of the program, maybe because they are simply not interested, don't want to break anything or don't know how, what and why to change anything. Hell, a lot of (most?) users wouldn't even update virus defintions if the program wouldn't do it automatically. Why? They don't know they have to, they don't know how, forget it or whatever. Fact is: they wouldn't do it.
So therefore the correct way of testing is: unpack the software, install it and test it. If there are weak points in that configuration, the software needs to be improved, not the user needs to tweak the software.

No, I'm not working for c't magazine, nor is the tester a friend or relative of me.  ;D

I too found it strange, that the test was done with an outdated version of the scanner when the most up-to-date version is available for download.

Don't get me wrong: I'm using avast 4.5 Home and I'm highly satisfied with it but that had to be said.

Bye

Gen. F.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 10:43:54 AM by General Failure »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 11:16:20 AM »
In this case - when you really want to simulate the user's environment - you should RUN the viruses and see what happens and not just COPY them.

I know, taking the number of viruses and number of products, this is the task which can't be probably done in reasonable time, but only in a such test are your arguments fully valid  ;)

Pavel

General Failure

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
You should do both.

- Run viruses and see what happens
- try to copy a virus via defferent means to a machine and see what happens

First test is important to see what scanners do when a machine is infected prior to the install.
Second test shows the ability of the scanner to protect a virus from entering the PC. What I think is important. I wouldn't want a virus to sit on my machine even if it is detected when it is started. I'd prefer the virus to be smashed on entering.

These tests would have to be performed with viruses that are on the wildlist that is valid at the time of the test.

That could explain the huge time gap between ordering the software and publishing the results of the test. Hmmm... Install and image a PC, install scanner, run test 1 (run virus), apply image, install scanner, run test 2 (copy virus), apply image *repeat as necessary*

Bye

Gen. F.