Author Topic: Virus-scanners that compliments avast free  (Read 9296 times)

Tanax

Virus-scanners that compliments avast free
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Hello!

I've Searched this matter beforehand and I've read all about not using more than 1 active antivirus at the same time, same as you shouldn't use more than 1 firewall at the same time. However, this thread's aim is to produce a list of free or paid virus-scanners, i.e non-actively scanning softwares, that compliments avast!

I found Malwarebytes, of course, and it seems really nice! A quick note on that one is that it actually appears to have realtime protection, should this be turned off?

I've always had Spybot S&D and AdAware. The new version of AdAware has realtime protection though so that should be turned off too I guess. Does anyway have any information on compatibility of those 2 with avast?

Other than these, what else is there that plays nicely with avast? It is my belief that when it comes to having realtime protection, 1 antivirus is enough.. but when it comes to manual scans of your system you can't have too many virus-scanners! What one misses, the other one gets.

If there's a similar thread that I missed when searching for this, please link!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus-scanners that compliments avast free
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
A quick browse of the forums gives a lot of inadvertent help, you will see many users signature below their posts. You will see many using MBAM.

You won't see many if any for S&D or AdAware, since the latter has resident AV I don't think it can simply be disabled. Resident AVs have low level drivers that essentially hook a file that you or an application want to run so that it can be scanned. This can cause conflict and simply disabling the resident protection doesn't disable these low level drivers. So I wouldn't advice either of these applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
So I wouldn't advice either of these applications.

+1 Wouldn't use either of them, too.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tanax

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
Oh, yeah I can definitely understand the conflict that can happen better now! Spybot is just a scanning tool though but I guess I'll research AdAware more thoroughly before trying to use it with avast to see if it actually can be turned off.

But are there more?
I might add that I am building a fileserver. It's just for private use so I don't need a business solution but I do want to have scheduled scans of the system every once in a while on top of having 1 full antivirus so the more scanners, the better :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
1. Spybot is just a scanning tool...
2. But are there more?

1. In my (personal) opinion it's useless and outdated.
2. See my sig. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tanax

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
2. But are there more?

2. See my sig. ;)

That is true, and it's ugly. Perhaps I should remove it. I've always thought that since it's only a scanner it doesn't hurt to have it. Oh well :)

Cheers! I'm on an iPhone now though so I can't really click anything in the signatures, what link(s) are you referring to? :)

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Cheers! I'm on an iPhone now though so I can't really click anything in the signatures, what link(s) are you referring to? :)

It's no link, but it's EAM.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
2. But are there more?

2. See my sig. ;)

That is true, and it's ugly. Perhaps I should remove it. I've always thought that since it's only a scanner it doesn't hurt to have it. Oh well :)

SpyBot Search & Destroy has resident elements which can interfere with other program installs.  You can disable the resident TeaTimer by following the instructions at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Tanax

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

It's no link, but it's EAM.

Oh I see! Will check it out, thanks :)

Tanax

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
2. But are there more?

2. See my sig. ;)

SpyBot Search & Destroy has resident elements which can interfere with other program installs.  You can disable the resident TeaTimer by following the instructions at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html.

Ohh.. didn't know this! Thanks for pointing it out!

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
Yes, Teatimer (TT) has been a known conflict with Avast in the past if you do a forum search.

As mentioned earlier, most of us here use Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM), either Free (on-demand) or Pro (resident) http://www.malwarebytes.org/.  It works differently than an AV, and compliments Avast with no conflicts.

Tanax

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »
Yes, Teatimer (TT) has been a known conflict with Avast in the past if you do a forum search.

As mentioned earlier, most of us here use Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM), either Free (on-demand) or Pro (resident) http://www.malwarebytes.org/.  It works differently than an AV, and compliments Avast with no conflicts.

Question regarding MBAM; Should I disable the realtime protection? Or is it okay to leave it on?

Also, I searched some threads here but they are kinda outdated. Any way, they said Panda Cloud AV worked well with avast. For instance, some people used it for the USB Vaccine. Any one still using it but with the current versions of avast and panda? Also; should the realtime protection be turned off on this?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:31:30 AM »
You should be fine with it on as you will find in the signatures of many avast users.

I honestly wouldn't take what Panda said as gospel I certainly wouldn't consider it. I'm not a fan of panda from when its on-line scanner used to dump its unencrypted virus signatures in a sub-folder of system32. I don't know how its cloud AV works, but I would imagine it still requires installation and signatures on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
I don't know how its cloud AV works, but I would imagine it still requires installation and signatures on your system.
Correct David, Panda cloud has a locally stored signiture cache and behavioural monitoring so would be unwise to install with another AV.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:21:09 AM by craigb »

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Should I disable the realtime protection? Or is it okay to leave it on?
Are you referring to TT or MBAM Pro?  If you are referring to TT, you need to disable first. 

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
-   How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.
-   SB fails to detect: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/65492.aspx

I use Panda USB Vaccine as on-demand with no conflicts with Avast.  I've been using it for several years now with no problems (or infections).  I do not use the Cloud-based services.