Author Topic: Firewall module blocks all of internet  (Read 22252 times)

TeKKie

Firewall module blocks all of internet
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
Hi all,

My dad bought 3 pc licence for avast internet security and ran into some troubles after upgrading our free versions we had running.
First my main pc with w7 ultimate 64b stopped having internet, after going trough loads of posts on the forum (uninstalled the internet security and reinstalled the free version to be able to).
I ended up using the removal tool and save mode and removed all avast stuff and used removal tool for ad-aware and then ran cccleaner rebooted again and installed internet security
and everything is working fine now.

Then i went to my dads xp sp3 machine did exactly the same thing, but you guessed it, no internet. Not even when turning of all shields and the firewall...
The only way i found to have internet working with avast internet security installed is by not installing the firewall, wich seems well uhhh not what i want :P
Tried all the ways i could find on the forum, like the uninstaller tool and the use fast checksum checkbox, cleaning the registry with cccleaner.
Atm i have internet security installed without the firewall (tho avast ui still sees it, prob becaus i used the system restore point i made before adding the firewall module).
Obviously avast can't activate it caus it's not actually there, but that's not the issue at hand anyway.
Also tried both the dutch and the english version.

Any suggestions for making the firewall work ?
The win xp professional dutch version with fully updated sp3 had no other virus scanners or firewalls installed then ad-aware prior to upgrading free avast to internet security

btw. i had this whole story written out (maybe even more properly, but i am bad at those verifications and lost my whole story and had to type it again, tad anoying :(

Edit :
Modified with bit more info
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:08:14 AM by TeKKie »

SafeSurf

Re: Firewall module blocks all of internet
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
I suggest that you uninstall ad adware since this has been known to conflict with Avast in the past with many users and may contain an AV.  Reboot.  Instead you can download and install Malwarbytes Anti-Malware (MBAM), which most of us use here and detects more, and is compatible with Avast.  http://www.malwarebytes.org/ - there is a Free (on-demand) and Pro (resident) version.

Second, since you did a system restore, I would do an uninstall/clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
Version 7.0.1456:         
Avast Internet Security:   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall. 
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and add the license key AIS online.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.

TeKKie

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Yes as i explained i did all that, i removed ad-aware with ad-aware removal tool, removed avast with removal tool cleaned reg with ccleaner and then reinstalled avast, including all the rebooting between every uninstall ;)

Btw point 3 and 8 are rather hard without internet connection due to it beeing blocked by the firewall module :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:27:44 AM by TeKKie »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
have there ever been any other AV then avast on that computer......preinstalled when new, or just tested ?

if so, find the removal tool run it and reboot     http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

TeKKie

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
No no other stuff then ad-aware wich i removed with the apropiate tool, as mentioned ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
Atm i have internet security installed without the firewall (tho avast ui still sees it, prob becaus i used the system restore point i made before adding the firewall module).
Did you use the Avast Uninstaller tool to delete ALL versions and products on the machine with a reboot in between each one while ad ad aware was OFF your machine?

TeKKie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
thnx for the quick response again, but yes i did.
I surfed these forums for nearly 2days before posting becaus none of the usual answers i found seem to work, while it worked on my main pc like that.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
What version of AIS were you using or trying to use?

TeKKie

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Right should have included that in the first post, it's 7.0.1456
Sorry got to leave now for a bit, will check in as soon as i get back.

Hope to find some nice options i can try when i do get back.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
On Win XP 32b:
- Download http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx
- open cmd and navigate to directory with procdump
- create a dump file by command c:\procdump.exe avast.setup

Upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/.  Avast will analyze the problem and report back to you in this thread.

Self defense might be requested to be turned off  > avast! ui > settings > troubleshooting > disable self defense.

TeKKie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
Thanks, will do as soon as i can get some time behind my dads rig again.
Tho as i make up from the technet topic it seems to mostly check for cpu usage ?
Did not notice any unexpected cpu spikes during install or afterwards, but will try :)

May take some time before i get acces to the pc tho.

TeKKie

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
Uploaded the avast dmp file created by procdump.

TeKKie

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
maybe a important sidenote, i can ping my main pc from that pc, just don't get the internet trough.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
You sent the dump file to the link I sent you?  If so, at this point we need to wait for Avast to analyze it and respond back to you in this thread.

TeKKie

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
Yeah send it to the provided link :)
Patiently awaiting response.