Author Topic: SSL/TLS connection detected!  (Read 103204 times)

UnD3Rd0g

Re: SSL/TLS connection detected!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
I have the same problem like Stephan Schaeffer that I get the certificate errors. I disabled the SSL in Mail and added the Mail Servers to the avast!config.
But I'm not sure what to do with the certificates. One out of my three mail accounts is working correctly but the other two not.

It would be nice if someone could help me.

thanks

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
I have the same problem like Stephan Schaeffer that I get the certificate errors. I disabled the SSL in Mail and added the Mail Servers to the avast!config.
But I'm not sure what to do with the certificates. One out of my three mail accounts is working correctly but the other two not.

It would be nice if someone could help me.

thanks

If you are using Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), then it is most probably caused by the broken legacy (0.9.7) version of OpenSSL that comes with the OS. Starting with the next program update (which will come soon) we will use an own openssl library that will fix this issue.

Darkcarbon

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:10 AM »
Hello,
Firstly please excuse my bad english.
I use avast for mac
I managed to configure with avast mail about SSL errors.
But I just realized that the problem was always reporting SSL starting this native application "Notes" on OSX 10.8 (mountain lion).
I esseyer all to no avail.
It is impossible to disable SSL on the application.
Do you offer me a solution?
I hope that the developer will avast react quickly because these problems SSL are large black dot that do a lot of shadow is soft yet bright future.
cordially

ps: the message "port 143 expired" appears regularly, with the result reactivate the SSL "mail".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:05:44 AM by Darkcarbon »

shadowshu

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 11:56:31 PM »
Why in the world why would I want to disable SSL on my mail connections?  Many major ISP's are moving to SSL (I have multiple accounts and all are SSL - Comcast's FAQ about mail setup shows ONLY SSL connections) and dont recommend having mail connections NOT be SSL.  I installed this about 5 mins ago and have no less than 30 SSL alerts about pop3.live.com no less.  It's out of hand so I'll disable the mail scanning til Avast gets this piece in better order.

Also your forums do not provide the word verification to post or confirm registration on Chrome at all have to use Safari only to use your forums.

macaroons

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 05:23:09 AM »
I did exactly this, but the warning still keep on popping up!
Mac OS =10.6.8

Is there a way to disable popups at all? I even tried to set the popups duration to 0s but they just won't die! It's really annoying...

Q: "I get annoying popups about SSL/TLS connections detected, how do I get rid of them?"

A: The popup appears whenever a mail client connects to a mailserver using an encrypted (SSL) connection that the mailshield can not scan. You have to disable SSL in your mail client and enable it in the mailshield preferences to let the mailshield scan the connections and still connect encrypted to the mail server.

To disable SSL in Apple Mail client, go to "Preferences->Accounts->Advanced" and disable the "Use SSL" checkbox.

Then go to the avast! preference pane in the system preferences and select the SSL tab in the mailshield advanced options and add the mailserver to the "Secured servers" list. The mailserver address to add is the value of the "Incoming Mail Server" field on the "Account Information" tab in the Apple Mail Account preferences.

For most mail servers like Google's gmail, this is all you have to do. If you now get a "SSL certificate error", see the following post.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:25:32 AM by macaroons »

tjfoth

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »
I am having this problem on 10.7.4.

I tried the suggestion made earlier:
1. I turned off SSL in mail.app
2. I shut down mail.app
3. I went to avast
4. I removed the servers from Advanced SSL
5. I turned off Mail Shield
6. Put the mail server back in (imap.gmail.com)
7. Turned Mail Shield back on
8 Started up mail.app.

Mail.app does not connect to imap.gmail.com.

/etc/hosts appears as is reported earlier in this forum.

There are no error messages in the log.

Please advise.  What am I missing?

Thank you.

tjfoth

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 03:19:28 AM »
My answer was found here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89943.60

Instead of moving the imap.gmail.com logins to System, I copied the entries.  I also added avast as an authorized app to each of mine (I have three gmail email accounts).

<I wish this board would work with Chrome>

H3L0

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
Q: "I get annoying popups about SSL/TLS connections detected, how do I get rid of them?"

A: The popup appears whenever a mail client connects to a mailserver using an encrypted (SSL) connection that the mailshield can not scan. You have to disable SSL in your mail client and enable it in the mailshield preferences to let the mailshield scan the connections and still connect encrypted to the mail server.

To disable SSL in Apple Mail client, go to "Preferences->Accounts->Advanced" and disable the "Use SSL" checkbox.

Then go to the avast! preference pane in the system preferences and select the SSL tab in the mailshield advanced options and add the mailserver to the "Secured servers" list. The mailserver address to add is the value of the "Incoming Mail Server" field on the "Account Information" tab in the Apple Mail Account preferences.

For most mail servers like Google's gmail, this is all you have to do. If you now get a "SSL certificate error", see the following post.

This will not work for iCloud! I get the warning if I open notes, ical, reminders, and mail! the only one that you can turn off is mail but then you cannot connect to the servers!!!

hcarlo

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
this is so complicated, is a turn-off for AVAST.  I managed to disable SSL, but when I tried to add the incoming mail server in Avast, it did not show any certificates.  how do I stop avast from displaying the anoying message?  or do i have to uninstall avast and forget about it?

bellatrix

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
Bonjour

I disabled the ssl in mail application, then I added the servers in Avast.
I have no error message but now I do not receive my emails

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
Bonjour

I disabled the ssl in mail application, then I added the servers in Avast.
I have no error message but now I do not receive my emails

What mail provider do you use? If it is iCloud, then the avast! mailshield does not actually
work with it as the iCloud IMAP servers break the IMAP protocol in several ways. (We have
issued appropriate bugreports to Apple, but their responses are usualy in terms of
months, so we will - as usual in case of Apple bugs - try to find some workaround for iCloud).

MNavastuser

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
After reading through various threads on this topic, I called Avast technical support and they were very helpful.  ;D

What I wanted to do was simply KEEP my SSL function in my MAC mail preferences checked because my web host tech support told me that they not only encrypt but also scan for viruses etc. and, besides, I am paying them extra for SSL functionality.

Therefore, all I wanted to do was disable the warnings and alerts from the Avast program. In Avast preferences-->PopUps, I turned off "Warnings" and "Alerts." The rep told me that Avast will continue to scan my iCloud mail and will warn me about any serious problems while my web site host email account will be taken care of on their server. I should not receive the annoying SSL alerts anymore.

The Avast rep was clear and very helpful.   8) Now we'll have to see if the alerts to away and I never get any viruses!  ::)

jessepps

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
That Captcha thing sucks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:21:38 PM by jessepps »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 12:57:17 AM »
That Captcha thing sucks.
Why? Can you develop?
The best things in life are free.

white-note

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »

If you are using Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), then it is most probably caused by the broken legacy (0.9.7) version of OpenSSL that comes with the OS. Starting with the next program update (which will come soon) we will use an own openssl library that will fix this issue.

Is there any news on this?
I would like to make this work.
I Use Mountain Lion and Outlook, and I can't add the servers because the certificates are NOT on my computer.

For now I disabled my email protection, but thats not what I want..