Author Topic: SSL/TLS connection detected!  (Read 103190 times)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: SSL/TLS connection detected!
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
and even rebooting the mac after turning off Iv6 did not help this.

You probably still get the IPv6 addresses in DNS responses from your DNS server even when you turn IPv6 off. And the preferences simply try to add every IP address that resolves from the given host.

This is definitely a bug, as none of the (allegedly verified addresses) would be added unless one successfully added another server later...

I agree, but it is a minor bug affecting only people with broken IPv6 in their network. And in the next version of avast! for Mac there will be a completely different handling of SSL connections and all the "SSL hosts" stuff will vanish (or better transformed to certificates issues ;-)).

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:47 AM »
I understand how the system works, but it's too much of burden for users, specially non-technical ones, I hope the next version resolves this.

But it gets worst, I have an email account on a private server that uses a self signed cert, the thing is that at least once or twice a week Avast complains the SSL certificate check failed, I go to Avast preferences, remove the server, add it again and it works again, what's happening here? The cert isn't changing it's the same cert I already have in my Keychain.
This is becoming beyond annoying.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:54:22 AM by specimen9999 »

Offline Gene11

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
I am unable to install an SSL certificate for my mail server in the system keychain.  When I try using Keychain Access, a drop-down menu appears for me to select the SSL certificate.  The problem is, I do know how to locate an SSL certificate for my mail server.  I use Mail for the Mac, and the incoming mail server listed in the Mail preferences folder for it is mail.me.com.  The outgoing mail server is smtp.me.com:username.  In addition, I am using OSX6.  Any help would be appreciated.

Falcon38

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
I am having the same problem as tonin, whitenote and hschumi:

Mac OSX 10.6.8, Avast 7.0 updated, trying to use Mac Mail and gmail

"Error verifying mail server"

I drug the Equifax certificate from System Root to System, so it is in both places now

I unchecked SSL on all gmail accounts and confirmed port went to 143

but I am unable to add imap.gmail.com to avast....

Help

PS - I plan on upgrading to Mtn Lion soon -- will that solve the problem?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:32:13 PM by Falcon38 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
What is in the system log (/var/log/system.log)?

Falcon38

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »
I sent a PM with log :D

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
I sent a PM with log :D

The problem is most probably caused by broken IPv6 in your network. If you type
Code: [Select]
host imap.gmail.com, do you also get the IPv6 address? If you do and you do not have a working IPv6 connection, this is what is causing the error. As already anounced - this problem will disapear with the next program update that will bring a completely different secured connection handling.

shortmanincali

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2012, 05:02:50 AM »
Hi im new to macs, how can I view the system log (/var/log/system.log)? I am running 10.8.2 OS X.

puffy303

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
If you do and you do not have a working IPv6 connection, this is what is causing the error. As already anounced - this problem will disapear with the next program update that will bring a completely different secured connection handling.

Without holding anyone to this answer, is there a time frame on when the next version for OS X will be out?

I too am unable to add imap.gmail.com to the Avast preference pane (for Mail Shield).  I get the error message about being unable to verify.

I would even consider running a beta version of the next release.

Thank you.

cb299a

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 01:35:50 AM »
I just wanted to provide my experience - just installed Avast last night, got the SSL/TLS warnings. Tried to add my incoming mail servers for Gmail and me.com) to the SSL pane - each one produced the message, "could not verify server". Yes I am sure I spelled them the same as they appear in the Mail Preferences pane. So, no go.

But, much worse, outgoing mail stopped working after installing AVast. Turning off SSL in the preferences was no help. So I uninstalled Avast, and outgoing mail is working again.

Sadly, I have to concur with many of the other posters here. Tho' its great to attempt a free Mac security package, Avast is not workable for "the rest of us".

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
I would even consider running a beta version of the next release.

The beta version for testing is available here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=112193.0

mwg2

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:43 PM »
I too am having the same error message (can't verify server)...however it is NOT an IPV6 problem...I think it has to do with the Gmail's two-factor authentication.  I am running that, and have set up an Apple Mail application-specific password for Apple Mail. (See: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185833 to learn how to do this.)

Anyway...Everything works perfectly in Apple Mail, but not when running through Mail Shield.  My thought is that the imap server is NOT 'seeing' the application-specific password through the Mail Shield program.  And YES, the Apple Mail application-specific password is located in KeyChain.

Any suggestions?   

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
I too am having the same error message (can't verify server)...however it is NOT an IPV6 problem...I think it has to do with the Gmail's two-factor authentication.  I am running that, and have set up an Apple Mail application-specific password for Apple Mail. (See: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185833 to learn how to do this.)

Anyway...Everything works perfectly in Apple Mail, but not when running through Mail Shield.  My thought is that the imap server is NOT 'seeing' the application-specific password through the Mail Shield program.  And YES, the Apple Mail application-specific password is located in KeyChain.

Any suggestions?

I might be able to help, in this case I suspect that Google considers this a new application, as avast proxy is actually the one making the connection to the server, so it's unauthorized.

mwg2

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 01:28:54 AM »

Any suggestions?

I might be able to help, in this case I suspect that Google considers this a new application, as avast proxy is actually the one making the connection to the server, so it's unauthorized.

That sounds very plausible...but...there is no place in the Mail Shield SSL table to insert a password.  So...how would I associate a password with Mail Shield?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
*shrug* if my hypothesis is true, there's no way to do it, or you would have to do it via Apple Mail, I don't know.
The only good thing I have to say is that the current beta (you can see it these forums) uses a completely different mechanism that is much more transparent to applications.