Author Topic: SSL/TLS connection detected!  (Read 103201 times)

mwg2

Re: SSL/TLS connection detected!
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »
Thank you kind sir.  I appreciate you offering some assistance.  I think I am out of luck until Avast allows password input associated with the Mail Shield SSL table. 

andy5501

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
I am with White-Note, reply #44

Fresh 10.8.2 and Office2011, using Outlook. My mail server does NOT use SSL, and the shield was already active in Avast, yet I got these annoying pop-ups. So I disabled the shield in Avast, and within seconds I received all mails that were queued up in the mail server.

Hope to get information when there is an update on Avast that fixes this.

mwg2

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
To the Moderators:  Do any of you happen to know how to send an email to Avast developers?  I think they should know about the GMAIL IMAP application specific password requirement (for those of us that use Gmail two-factor authentication.)  The fix should be relatively easy:  Just allow an optional input area on the SSL Table to add an IMAP specific password to be associated with the Mail Shield Proxy.   

Thanks so much!   

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »
To the Moderators:  Do any of you happen to know how to send an email to Avast developers?  I think they should know about the GMAIL IMAP application specific password requirement (for those of us that use Gmail two-factor authentication.)  The fix should be relatively easy:  Just allow an optional input area on the SSL Table to add an IMAP specific password to be associated with the Mail Shield Proxy.   

Thanks so much!

I think you should try the Beta announced on this forum.
Most likely they won't 'fix' it, in the new beta this works in a completely different way exactly to avoid these and other problems.

allanrisk

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
Whenever I try to add my gmail imap server, I get the attached message:

allanrisk

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Whenever I try to add my gmail imap server, I get the attached message:

Sorry - didn't see that this very problem had been posted earlier ... I'd delete my original post if I knew how ...  :-[

Phimple

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
I'm another person who can not get avast to work with gmail due to the server error when trying to add it in......

Please remedy for us.....

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
I'm another person who can not get avast to work with gmail due to the server error when trying to add it in......

Use the beta (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=112193.0), it fixes this issue.

jimceez

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to avast! am having the same issues as most others.  I turn off SSL in the mail accounts and try to add the servers into the avast! listing and I get the same errors of verification.  This is happening to both my comcast & gmail accounts. I've read most threads, found the keychains, moved them to system and still have issues.  I'm using the latest release of ML.

It is extremely frustrating.  Can you put the complete steps into a bullet point format so people can follow.  Thanks.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

Use the beta (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=112193.0), it fixes this issue.

It fixes the issue, but doesn't allow access to IMAP gamil or POP. Also causes Thunderbird to become highly unstable if you turn off Mail Shield.

Sfmsk

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »
Hey I have the same problem. I get the red warning (SSL certificate check failed!) :(
My mail worked just fine before where I had Norton, but it was only a trial version and it expired, so I went and got Avast.
I've done everything; disabled SSL, added the incoming mail server to the mail shield of Avast and added it to my keychain as well, but I still get that stupid message. I've got no clue what to do, would be lovely if somebody could help. :)

Thanks in advance
Sfmsk

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Did you try the beta yet..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

esamax

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:01 AM »
forget the 993 popups - according to GMail you should leave the SSL checked

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
forget the 993 popups - according to GMail you should leave the SSL checked

In the current stable release of Avast! (not the Beta, as it works differently there) this is not correct IF you want Avast! to scan your incoming email, as such Avast! acts as the email client itself and makes the secure (SSL) connection, and then routes it to the email client, so as far GMail is concerned (and they are correct) the email client is really Avast! proxy, which indeed has SSL enabled.

The confusion arises from the fact that in the email client you configure the actual server address instead of a local proxy, when in fact you are using a local proxy, albeit a so called 'transparent' one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:51:38 PM by specimen9999 »

vladan

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
as mac user, i edited hosts file

sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
added
173.194.67.109  imap.gmail.com
(ctrl-o,ctrl-x) to save file

after that add secured server is successful

if you open again hosts file you will noticed 2 entries:

173.194.67.109  imap.gmail.com  # Added by avast!

now all servers are there,but warnings are still popping up sometimes (not completely solved)

for gmail imap access i am using outlook for mac

hope this helps a little bit

rgds