Author Topic: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta Due 6th January  (Read 45316 times)

watchthisspace

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta Due 6th January
« on: January 04, 2005, 01:50:10 AM »
Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh, and it's all good".

Encouraging employees to install the Beta is one of the many ways Microsoft tests Beta products internally. It's not clear whether the release this Thursday will be a public beta or a private external beta.

Check out our exclusive screenshots below.

Update: Microsoft is currently detecting Messenger Plus! as Spyware.

news source and screen shots:
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26501&category=main

Sounds like it might be good  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 01:52:20 AM by watchthisspace »

neal62

Re:Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta Due 6th January
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 01:56:16 AM »
Interesting, will have to see how this one does in real time use. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:59:32 AM »
Well, MS, again, eating a new slice of the cake...
I think it will be better if Microsoft release a better, more trustable, browser than IE...
You make a hole and then try to close it...  :P
The best things in life are free.

watchthisspace

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 02:21:15 AM »
I think it will be better if Microsoft release a better, more trustable, browser than IE...
Yeah that'd be much nicer.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 02:44:34 AM »
Hmm looking at the screenshots, in the upper right hand corner is an icon that says Real-Time Protection. Dont know if that is good or bad. Could cause some conflicts?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Staind

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 03:13:30 AM »
They could just attempt to buy Mozilla.

watchthisspace

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 04:06:12 AM »
They could just attempt to buy Mozilla.
Hehehe!!  ;D I don't think Mozzila.org would sell it to microsoft  :P

techie101

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:21:11 AM »
WTS,

I went over the information that is presently available on the MS Anti-spyware program.  Actually, I like the clean, simple, user freindly interface.  It has the most needed functions and an easy to understand information panel.

Not clear on whether it is free, or how often updates will be available for manual or auto download.

As for Messenger Plus....
MS did not say MP itself was spyware.  It warned that it bundles with other programs that ARE spyware.  In any case, it pays to be cautions.

My recommendation:  Stay with Spyware Blaster and SpywareGuard.

If you want a really nice anti-spyware (resident), try Spyblocker.  I still have version 4.75 which was the last freeware.  It protects against cookies, spyware, scripts, ads, bugs and worms.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 06:25:28 AM by Techie101 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:58:26 AM »
techie do you have a download link for the 4.75 version?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

watchthisspace

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 07:03:42 AM »
WTS,

I like the clean, simple, user freindly interface.  It has the most needed functions and an easy to understand information panel.
yes, It's looks really easy to use and understand, and it'l probally be good since people from Giant anti-spyware will be helping in the making of it, and making of updates    :)
Hopfully they at least offer a free version of it, and it might be included with future operating systems.Hopfully the BETA for it is a public one  :)

It might only be time until Apple release a anti-spyware program  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 07:05:41 AM by watchthisspace »

lee16

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »
Looks real easy to use, not sure how much ill like it till i can mess around with the advanced settings, but im sure it will be good.

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 01:18:16 PM »
Not clear on whether it is free, or how often updates will be available for manual or auto download.

This is the point for me...
I won't pay for a spyware as we have others free and functional  :( :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »
I will be sitting firmly on the fence with this, even though this is a piece of bought in software, we have no idea what MS will have done with it or how it will react/interact with other security software.

Your PC's security is too serious to go installing a BETA product, let others be the guinea pigs, wait for the reviews and reports to come out; unless you are prepared deal with the consequences of a conflict (no point whining then).

The product was a paid for product previously and I don't see M$'s generosity of heart releasing this for free (hopefully I will be wrong here). Why be an unpaid BETA tester for MS when, you don't even know if the end product will be freeware or paid for.

You have to ask yourself, do I need this? have I got a problem with my existing anti-spyware software, available on freeware?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »
Microsoft is currently detecting Messenger Plus! as Spyware
Technicly speaking it is malware so it should be detected as such.

It is nice that MS finally is giving the people a way to remove malware. If it will be freeware that would even be nicer. If we have to pay for it, I would say "NO THANKS". We already have ad-aware, spybot s&d, HijackThis and some other real good ones and all freeware.

Will it add anything to the excisting (freeware) applications? I doubt it. The main thing is detecting and removing malware. A job that already is handled real good by the excisting applications.

My advice:
If you have to pay for it. Don't !!!!
If it is freeware, give it a try. But remember there is no application that will detect/remove all malware. So you still need to use others along with the one from MS.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:21:28 PM by Eddy »

Staind

Re: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta Due 6th January
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 01:40:24 AM »
It might only be time until Apple release a anti-spyware program  Grin
I didn't think Macs needed one.. .:P