Author Topic: Registration problem with free version  (Read 3078 times)

kristina1

Registration problem with free version
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »
I downloaded the free version (7.0.0) yesterday and it's not letting me register.  Maintenance->Registration says, "Current registration will expire on: -" and "Date of registration: -" (see first image).

When I hit Register Now->Register & fill in my email, it says it worked, but the dialog has an X and Avast still thinks I'm not registered (see second image).

And so then I tried the offline registration, got my key over email, and copy-pasted it and it says it's not a valid license key! (Third image)

Help, I just want to register!

Offline Skakara

Re: Registration problem with free version
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
I got the same problem installing avast 7.0.1456 on a "clean" Windows XP SP3. I didn't try the offline registration, but the 2 first images shows exatcly the same problem I had.

Kristina1, try rebooting the computer first, then the registration from avast UI should work. At least it worked for me.

What is interesting is that I was NOT told to reboot by avast after the install. Did you get any reboot notifications from avast after installation?

This is definitely something avast people should look into and fix asap. It gives a very bad image of the program from the very start.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
hey i suggest you do a clean installation of avast and see if that could help.

download the latest version of avast from avast.com

download the uninstall tool for avast, run it, reboot your system.

install the new copy you downloaded from avast.

try registry the program

links: http://www.avast.com/en-se/free-antivirus-download -program

http://www.avast.com/en-se/uninstall-utility - uninstall tool

good luck

Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Skakara

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Mikaelrask, in case you didn't see it, I installed 7.0.1456 on a "clean" Windows XP SP3. Reboot the PC after installation and then registration works ok.

It's avast which bugs and needs to be investigated and fixed. Or the installation procedure should not show registration dialog BEFORE reboot is done. And a reboot dialog should be shown.