Author Topic: Stuck with files and entries from forced Google Chrome Installation  (Read 8181 times)

bestmen

Dear Avast team,

back in May I already posted the problem I had when updating Avast Free. Like many others, Avast forced Google Chrome onto my system. see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=98825.0

What happened at the time, was that I got the: Complete your Avast! Software Updagte popup (see attachment).

I did nothing but closing!!! the popup window and still some installation routine was triggered that ran for 35 minutes or so. As Chrome itself was not installed as I could see in my programs overview from Windows, I just let you know that I thougth this wasnt right and thought that I had been lucky.

Unfortunately, I am not. My computer has several files and entries related to Google. I have never had anything installed from Google myself, and the date of the files is always the date of the Avast upgrade.

1) I have "Google Update" as an Add-On in my Firefox.
2) I have a folder C:Programs "Google" with 2 subfolders, a) Crash Reports, b) Update; in the subfolder "Update" there is "googleupdate.exe"
3) I have several entries in "Autostart" all related to "Google Update"
4) Files stored under a folder from Avast.

I would appreciate if not to say I expect help from Avast with this problem. I want all remnants related to Google/Google Chrome away from my computer leaving no traces whatsoever. How do I do that?

I cannot uninstall anything because nothing appears in my program list in Windows.

Here are the specifics of my computer: Asus EeePC runninge Windows 7 Starter Sp 1, Firefox 13.0.1, latest Avast installation. See all attachmens...

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:55:59 PM by bestmen »

bestmen

Re: Stuck with files and entries from forced Google Chrome Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

marc-d-l

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
What I did was went to search, typed google,went to advance search for google and deleted the files.

bestmen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
Hey there,

but this is not a 'safe' method to get rid of this stuff, is it?

I also have googleupdate.exe in scheduled tasks etc. and wonder whether this will go away if I just manually delete everything related to google...

J.Stalin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »
It can be very difficult to remove a half installed Chrome browser.
I suggest that you install it, without making it the default browser. Thereafter you reboot and uninstall it. Thereafter run the reg clean found here: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899
If you hereafter find any Google related stuff running you can safely disable and delete it.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I suggest that you install it, without making it the default browser. Thereafter you reboot and uninstall it. Thereafter run the reg clean found here: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899
If you hereafter find any Google related stuff running you can safely disable and delete it.
This is the correct method.  Thank you for posting.

bestmen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
Hello there,

I read through the posted link and in the description nothing is being said about re-installing Chrome before uninstalling?

However, this is the method you suggest right?

Based on the screenshots do you guys see that the chrome installation has been incomplete? Because I thought that it was 'only' unsuccessfull but the question is how I ended up with the updater stuff.

I am so turned off by the situation that Avast has put me in. I was totally content with their product but this is unacceptable.

Thanks so much for at least looking into this topic for me.

J.Stalin

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »
The posted link is only so you can get the Chrome registry cleaner...

bestmen

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
Thanks for clarifying!

So from the point of view of you guys there is no other way than to first install Chrome and then uninstall?

Should I install chrome from scratch, that is with the installer? Or should I let Avast install via their routine?

If the Avast team is reading this: this is plain ridiculous. I am left with traces of a program that I did not consent to install and now I will have to install in order to get it off my computer. Thank you Avast!

blunder

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »
I use a program called revo uninstaller.  >http://www.revouninstaller.com<  I've found it to be great at removal of files and programs. If you go to the site, click on downloads and click on the free version. Read through the intro.. Drag and drop is pretty basic and easy. A flaming icon will appear and you just click,drag and drop unwanted files into the fire. I found it an easy learn.It will  also take out all remnants of  the programs that you un-install.I've had it for 8 months and no problems with it interfering with any other programs .

J.Stalin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »
Yes, just use the Chrome installer from Google. Remember to untick Chrome as default browser during installation.
I wouldn't use Revo for this.