Author Topic: Interesting Situation  (Read 5674 times)

Staind

Interesting Situation
« on: January 07, 2005, 05:19:39 AM »
Hi, I asked this on the forums awhile ago, but got no real answer or resolution.  After 3 days of having Zone Alarm installed I have had 5801 intrusion attempts - 371 have been high rated. Who would be attempting to intrude so often? This is without having Shareaza and other file-sharing applications open, for long periods of time. All I have been using is MSN, iTunes, Open Office and Avast!.

When I shut off the firewall, even for a minute, I get about 10 - 20 messages from Avast! network detector.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Interesting Situation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:23:50 AM »
After 3 days of having Zone Alarm installed I have had 5801 intrusion attempts
Is that all? I had over 5000 attempts a day when blaster was hitting the net, and later when sasser was there even more.

Mostly the mesages/what you see in the log, is caused by infected systems and not by persons.

I suggest you spend a little time to learn how connections/computer are working and how you can secure a system.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:50 AM »
Sunshine,

It is my guess that your computer has spyware and adware.  They become the "magnet" to draw in all the unwanted connection attempts.
In addition, you could be infected with a trojan/worm.

Do you have any antispyware installed such as SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard?
Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware are manual antispyware scanners you can download.

All of the programs above are freeware:  www.snapfiles.com

At this point, I would install a manual scanner such as Adaware from www.lavasoft.de and run it to clean up the computer.

Also run a full Avast virus scan with it set to Thorough and include Archives.

In addition, consider installing Hijack This.  You will find the link on Eddy's signature at the bottom of his posts.  It is an excellent tool.   If you do decide to use it, there is both a downloadable and an online Hijack This Analyzer that goes with it to determine the condition of your system.  The online HJT Analyzer is easier to use and understand.

I hope this information was not too much for you.  If you need further clarification, please ask me.

:)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 05:53:00 AM by Techie101 »

Staind

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:56:53 PM »
Techie, I have spyware, adaware, spybot search and destroy, spywareblaster and microsoft's new beta program installed. I run Avast! scans everyday (with proper updates).  I do not believe my computer is infected.

Eddy -> I believe you're right when you say it's just random people, who are probably just infected (due to carelessness). I'm assuming there's nothing I can do about it then?

techie101

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 11:05:57 PM »
sunshine,

You certainly have the recommended protection in place.
For some reason, you have been targeted. 

Somewhere along the line, the "targeters" latched onto your IP address as a valid address and therefore you get all the instrusion attempts.

Not sure what else you can do.  As long as ZA is blocking them, they become only an annoyance.

Good luck

Staind

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 11:20:03 PM »
Ok, thank you.

DukeNukem

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »
With so many intrusion attemps you cannot afford to have your firewall fail on you.

One reason why you really should get a hardware firewalll + use a software one.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 11:40:22 AM »
I don't see the point of buying hardware firewall for home usage unless you already have router with hardware FW.
Its just a waste of mone when free software firewalls do exactly the same job(sometimes even better).
Not to mention software FWs are easier to configure.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

lee16

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 12:00:05 PM »
RejZoR,

I though hardware firewalls were harder to hack then Software ones?
Also i have been told thy are less vulnerable to certain Trojans then software ones.

--lee

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 12:34:04 PM »
Who on earth would want to hack only you specifically? I guess no one.
So buying hardware firewall is kinda stupid imo.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

DukeNukem

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 01:35:51 PM »
Perhaps i should have said router with NAT / SPI firewall which is what i meant.

Routers are quite cheap these days.