Author Topic: Avast Firefox Plugin issue since recent program update.  (Read 19334 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Firefox Plugin issue since recent program update.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
@ Paul_D
MalwareBytes won't find any cookies because it isn't looking for them.

Cookies really aren't a big deal, just deny 3rd party cookies and the so called tracking cookies aren't getting a look in and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) is unlikely to find much in the way of cookies. I always disabled SAS from even looking for cookies, I eventually removed SAS Pro as cookies were the only thing that it was finding. Having stopped SAS from even looking for cookies, it seemed a little pointless having it installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Paul_D

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
@ Paul_D
Cookies really aren't a big deal, just deny 3rd party cookies and the so called tracking cookies aren't getting a look in and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) is unlikely to find much in the way of cookies. I always disabled SAS from even looking for cookies, I eventually removed SAS Pro as cookies were the only thing that it was finding. Having stopped SAS from even looking for cookies, it seemed a little pointless having it installed.
Agreed. Absolutely. That was my point.

Offline rob24

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

Cookies really aren't a big deal, just deny 3rd party cookies and the so called tracking cookies aren't getting a look in
I'm getting sorts of problems initially described in this thread too after the latest (free) program update, with a popup proclaiming a Browser add on is a problem. Clicking the button to clean, but runs for ages before it freezes, becoming unresponsive. Being unable to stop it, restarting the PC takes several goes after that. Then it settles. It did the same today after the update yesterday.

Regarding cookie settings in Firefox, I have always had accept third party cookies enabled. Not really sure what having them disabled will do, or not do, or is the halfway house of visited best? So many sites ask you to accept cookies now and some rely on them (Quidco).
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Paul_D

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »

Cookies really aren't a big deal, just deny 3rd party cookies and the so called tracking cookies aren't getting a look in
I'm getting sorts of problems initially described in this thread too after the latest (free) program update, with a popup proclaiming a Browser add on is a problem. Clicking the button to clean, but runs for ages before it freezes, becoming unresponsive. Being unable to stop it, restarting the PC takes several goes after that. Then it settles. It did the same today after the update yesterday.

Regarding cookie settings in Firefox, I have always had accept third party cookies enabled. Not really sure what having them disabled will do, or not do, or is the halfway house of visited best? So many sites ask you to accept cookies now and some rely on them (Quidco).
Third party cookies are what the name implies - cookies from sites other than the one you are visiting. If a site you are visiting relies on a third party cookie for anything it is acting unconscionably and is not worth visiting. Stop accepting them for a bit and see what effect it has on your browsing. The world will not come to an end..

But having said all that, the answer to your particular problem is to deactivate AOS. It's simply more trouble than it is worth.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
<snip quote>

Essentially 3rd party cookies can track your movements/activity across many sites. Hence the name tracking cookies.

I would still disable them, even if a particular function requires 3rd party cookie use and instead make exceptions for cookies for Quidco, etc. rather than allow everything.

Unfortunately the firefox cookie options are pretty poor, with very little flexibility/configuration; this is why I use the CookieMonster add-on for firefox as it gives you far greater flexibility/configuration, see my Reply #6 of this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rob24

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »

Essentially 3rd party cookies can track your movements/activity across many sites. Hence the name tracking cookies.

I would still disable them, even if a particular function requires 3rd party cookie use and instead make exceptions for cookies for Quidco, etc. rather than allow everything.

Unfortunately the firefox cookie options are pretty poor, with very little flexibility/configuration; this is why I use the CookieMonster add-on for firefox as it gives you far greater flexibility/configuration, see my Reply #6 of this topic.
Have changed my cookie settings as per your screenshot except do I also need to set 'tell sites I do not want to be tracked to allow CookieMonster (now just installed) to work? BTW why does your FF setting screen in Reply #6 look different to mine (attached).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:58:06 AM by rob24 »
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »
You don't need to have FF tell sites not to track you, but personally I feel there are many sites that would love to be able to use your activity to build a history.

CookieMonster and do not track are completely separate so you don't have to set do not track to use CookieMonster.

I don't see any attached image that you say was attached. That however can have many reasons, some add-ons in firefox may give additional options/settings; the Operating System and or using a different Theme in your operating system can change the look of the displayed window.

Offline rob24

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 03:14:31 AM »
@DavidR
Thank you. Here's the missing attachment.

Paul_D

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
Rob24. In your settings, having "Keep Cookies" set to "Until I close Firefox" really defeats many of the purposes of site cookies. Mine are set to keep until they expire (remembering that you are already rejecting third-party cookies anyway).

Just one example:- Login cookies. These are created when you tick "Remember Me" when you log into a site.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:16:09 AM by Paul_D »

Offline rob24

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
Rob24. In your settings, having "Keep Cookies" set to "Until I close Firefox" really defeats many of the purposes of site cookies. Mine are set to keep until they expire (remembering that you are already rejecting third-party cookies anyway).

Just one example:- Login cookies. These are created when you tick "Remember Me" when you log into a site.
Think I had it set to 'until they expire' before I changed accept third party to 'never'.

I'm also still getting this pop up again today (which I ignored due problems it causes in using the 'Remove bad Add-onns' button.

xlander

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
Not offended just some of us prefer privacy when you have multi users. With cookies some of us can reconstruct quite a bit about your session. And don't come off with the, well you shouldn't do blah blah things if you don't want to have someone find it. That is like telling a person to poof stop having any thoughts in there head.

Okay moving on from this AVAST needs to simply remove this garbage spam. I shouldn't have to allow security exceptions to have my security software function...

I fear that AVAST is going the way of norton, which is to say spammy to big for their collective britches, and not that great a software.

I hyped this software for about 10 years now but this year it has caused so many issues with my main uses, it has more and more bloat. It is just becoming a not good AV. I have to stop suggesting this as an AV for a while and see if I can find another good company that hasn't grown big enough to lose control of their purpose.