Author Topic: On-access scanner not starting  (Read 4230 times)

casey_48

On-access scanner not starting
« on: January 10, 2005, 10:48:11 AM »
Hi, i dont know if this is in the right place.

Can you tell me why my resident protection stays on disabled all the time i cannot move it?

Also the little icons have vanished from the task bar

Can you help me?

as i dont really know how to rear these forums can you also reply to robcasey@dodo.com.au.

Thanks

galooma

Re: New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
hi rob and welcome,
to answer your question, no it isnt, but only moderators can move posts and you dont sound confident enough to start a new topic so i reccomend you either re-post in general topics or avast 4.5 home/professional forum 
If your problem is a result of a fresh install then maybe it just needs a reboot or a scan then reboot. do those then post ack if you still have a problem

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: On-access scanner not starting
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:59:03 PM »
Casey, welcome...
Which is your operational system? What do you mean by 'cannot move it'? Does the slider does not move or you can't save the changes after boot?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

negativ

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:48:43 PM »
I have the same (I think) problem he's describing.

I do not have the tray icon at all.  You can set the resident protection level to whatever you want via the slider, but as soon as you go to any other dialog in the program, it reverts back to "disabled".  Repairing and removing / reinstalling hasn't helped.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »

I do not have the tray icon at all.  You can set the resident protection level to whatever you want via the slider, but as soon as you go to any other dialog in the program, it reverts back to "disabled".  Repairing and removing / reinstalling hasn't helped.

Do you have Windows 98?
If so, can you change the slider, exit avast (shutting down the residents) and then boot?
Will this save the settings?
The best things in life are free.

negativ

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
nope, this is WinXP.  When looking at the process list in windows task manager, it looks like the only process related to avast! that's actually running is ashSimpl.exe.

Changing the slider to any value other than "disabled", stopping the program, and then rebooting doesn't seem to make any difference.  Still no resident protection.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:18 AM »

If you have no avast icon on the systray, how are you getting to the resident scanner to set the protection?

Does what you are setting look anything like this?

If it does, set it to high and then click 'Terminate,' you will be asked do you want to save settings, click Yes/Ok all the way out. Close the window and reopen it and click 'Start,' you should get the save settings again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security