Author Topic: Default browser assumption  (Read 5041 times)

1eyedjack

Default browser assumption
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »
Am running IS version 7.0.1456

This is just a suggestion for a future feature.  And if it is already available then I apologise for not seeing it.

But I would quite like it if Avast loaded the default internet browser rather than automatically launching Google Chrome, when I click on the link to go to the community forums from within the Maintenance/Support area of the main Avast Interface.

I have no doubt that Chrome is a great browser.  But I would rather make that choice for myself.  Thank you.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Default browser assumption
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
Am running IS version 7.0.1456

This is just a suggestion for a future feature.  And if it is already available then I apologise for not seeing it.

But I would quite like it if Avast loaded the default internet browser rather than automatically launching Google Chrome, when I click on the link to go to the community forums from within the Maintenance/Support area of the main Avast Interface.

I have no doubt that Chrome is a great browser.  But I would rather make that choice for myself.  Thank you.

As I don't have Chrome installed and Firefox is my default browser, it does open Firefox.

In Avast Settings under the Troubleshooting at the bottom, there is "Do not use Chrome as avast! default browser".
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
I don't have chrome installed, but even so I also have this option checked 'Do not use Chrome as avast! default browser.' This is in the avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting section, see image (click to expand).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

1eyedjack

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »
OK, found it now.  Is this what they call "bloatware"?  Under what circumstance would someone actually want to run Chrome when accessing the Avast forums if they have not already set it as their default browser?  I cannot see the point of the tickbox.  At least it should be ticked by default.

Tetsuo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
Is this what they call "bloatware"?  Under what circumstance would someone actually want to run Chrome when accessing the Avast forums if they have not already set it as their default browser?  I cannot see the point of the tickbox.  At least it should be ticked by default.

I agree with you. In this specific scenario it may look like "bloatware". And yes, it should be at least ticked by default.

ManyQs

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
Warning about the age of the thread duly noted.

I have just upgraded my program version on one of my computers and saw that the default Chrome business is still there as an opt-out, not an opt-in.

I am registering my complaint to that.

Yes, companies have a right to try and trick us into using some product, like in this case.  It is not against the law.  But it is also the customer's right to complain about such behaviour and that's what I'm doing.

I have to state that I am glad to state that I think that the Avast! Team seems to have their act together, but this business with Google makes me nervous and certainly has me starting to consider life without Avast! down the road.  Google makes me nervous.  I wish there were some other way for you Avast employees to make money.

I have a feeling that Google is not going to allow you to change that to an opt-in button.  That's sad.