Author Topic: Avast viruschest not available  (Read 17908 times)

SaskiaS

Avast viruschest not available
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
Hi,

I did a full viruscheck with avast (the full, paid version) and it found several threats (low and high priority), I tried to move them to the viruschest but again (as before) I keep getting the message (translated from dutch by me):
"Viruschest server not available, RPC communication failed (2147422219)"

The viruschest never workes. Why ?  ??? and how can I solve this ?

If this is something that can't be fixed quick --> should I post in a different topic my high priority threat so that I can start, with your help, to solve that first ? It is "JS:Agent-ABZ(Trj)"

Thanks and regards, Saskia
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM by SaskiaS »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast viruschest not available
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
follow the guide here and attach (not copy and paste) logs from malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

SaskiaS

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
Hi there,

thanks in advance for your help.

Yesterday, when AVAST found that infection which it cannot remove, I also ran MBAM full-scan.
MBAM found some threaths which I told it to remove, and after that the scan from MBAM is clean. So the MBAM quickscan I did today, as you told me to, is clean but I have also attached the files from yesterday.

Please find attached the MBAM logs and OTL logs

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:15:39 PM by SaskiaS »

SaskiaS

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
and the Extras.log from OTL and the aswMBR-log

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
Hi you have an old sinowal infection, I may not be able to remove that , but it is inert and harmless
The virus chest prolem suggests a problem withiun Avast, have you tried a repair install ?
 Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\xpsec.sys -- (xpsec)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\xcpip.sys -- (xcpip)
    FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.20
    FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0021-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.21
    FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.22
    FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0023-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.23

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application

• Then click on Change parameters.

• Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

• Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

• Get the report by selecting Reports

• Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

SaskiaS

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
Hi,

sorry for the late response (although that is more my problem  :) ) I am always tired and cannot spend much time at a day at the pc

I ran the OTL fix and quickscan, please see the log attached

I also ran TDSSkiller, but either I did something wrong there or it did not find anything malicious. After the Scan it said it found 9 threaths, which I "skipped" as you said, and I chose "continue", after which nothing happened  :-\ Please see the report attached.
Or did you mean I have to choose cure and then continue ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:46:12 PM by SaskiaS »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »
No that was good, I am checking out the most usual areas for malware

Two more to run now to analyse different ares.. Are you still getting the Virus chest error ?

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

THEN

run farbar service scanner

Tick "All" options.
Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

SaskiaS

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
Hi,

Please find attached ComboFix and FFS logs.

The computer seems to be running fine after ComboFix. It has deleted only a few files, as far as i could see.

I also ran the Repair Install for Avast. However, I cannot tell if the viruschest is working now, because it only says that it's not available when I try to move virusses to the viruschest, and at this moment Avast can't find any virusses  :'(    :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
The way to check that is to add a file to the chest... Any file will do as it will just take a copy and leave the original there

Open Avast and go to the virus chest
Right click the blank area and select add

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32\aswBoot.exe

Select the file

Does it copy to the chest ?

SaskiaS

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
No it does not  add anything to the viruschest :( I have tried several files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
RPC errors have in the past been related to other AVs also installed or remnants of one remaining. Not sure if this is the problem as I'm sure essexboy would have mentioned another AV running or remnants showing up in the logs.

Essexboy asked if you had tried an avast repair, I didn't notice an answer to that question.
Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
OK could you go start > Run
Type in Services.msc
Press OK

Then Locate Avast service
Right click and select properties
Select the Dependencies tab
Then post a screenshot of it as below

SaskiaS

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
@David: hi, thanks but I al;ready did the RepairInstall, it did not work

@Essexboy: please find attached the requested screenshot. This screenshot is from avast!Antivirus, I also have avast!Firewall but that has no Dependencies in that tab.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:26:49 AM by SaskiaS »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Download and run the AVG removal tool from here http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

Download the latest version to your desktop from here
Download aswClear from here
Go to Programs and Features > add/remove and uninstall Avast
Reboot back to safe mode and run aswClear (select all versions of Avast ) once for each version, no need to reboot in between
After the last one reboot

Install the updated Avast

SaskiaS

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
Hi,

I got so frustrated with my pc that I chose not to do anything with it for a few days..so here's my response to your message of a few days ago.

I have download and ran the AVG removal tool. I do not know if it went well, because it said it would ask for a reboot but it hasn't. So I have attached the log it made to be sure.

I have also download the latest version of Avast, but then i noticed that the link you gave me is for Avast Free, and I am using the paid verson (antivirus + internet security and all). So I think I might have to use another link. So I have searched the Avast website and came up with a page for existing users, saying download your product here -->  which started the download of avast-internet-security-setup.exe

Now that I have both of those in my downloads-folder, I assume I can get on with the aswclear and the removal and reinstall of avast ? Or do I need to move those avast downloads out of my downloadsfolder ?