Author Topic: Windows 7 64-Bit Boot Slowdown  (Read 4777 times)

Berxerker

Windows 7 64-Bit Boot Slowdown
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:22 AM »
I have a very disappointing and problematic issue on my Windows 7 64-bit system. I installed Avast long ago, and after 7.0.1456, my system just OS farted. The laptop would boot from the BIOS in 15 seconds, and then I had to endure 20 seconds of a black screen with the cursor, and then the welcome screen (I'd type the password fast) and then, 2 minutes of more black screen, and THEN, more system loading. Overall, 4-6 minutes for full system loading.

I factory reset my laptop 4x this week (4 times due to problems during factory reset, such as a few corrupted files and stuff) and the system I'm currently running (factory reset with all Windows 7 latest updates as well as SP1 installed) and it goes from BIOS to all loaded programs in 60 seconds.

Sure, my start-up programs COULD have had been the cause, hadn't I verified by removing each one of them and leaving Avast Services and Startup program to run. Result was identical, if not worse.

Right now I'm uninstalling Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 with vendors' uninstall tool to get rid of that unwanted antivirus, but I simply can't go back to Avast if it will slow down my system boot + other system operations constantly.

I'm curious whether a fix will be released soon, or if this is a one in a million issue out there. I sincerely like Avast, and I'm not going to install any other AV soon, but I'd have to refuse to installing Avast if my system will be as slowed down as it had.

To clear, I post this with a honorable respect towards the Avast community, not with any rudeness or bashing towards the program, as I have had no problem with the program on my family's 32-bit laptops. This is just to point out a bug/problem (if it is, I'm not sure. It seriously isn't a defect within my system though) existing within Avast.

My system specifications are below:

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium + SP1
Intel Core i7 2630QM Quad Core
Nvidia GeForce GT540M 1GB
6.00GB RAM Memory 1333MHz
640GB HDD - 5'400RPM

ryu_ken_ansatsuken

Re: Windows 7 64-Bit Boot Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
I have this very same issue. The avast! processes at start-up takes almost 8 minutes to load, fell to using Soluto to find the slow boot culprit. There has never been another AV program on this box, it was installed within the first 15 minutes after completing the build and the OS install, and I have never had issues with avast! before now. It is making me consider looking elsewhere which makes me nervous, this is the only one I've ever had reason to trust.

Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
24 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

andrew bell

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
I have a very disappointing and problematic issue on my Windows 7 64-bit system. I installed Avast long ago, and after 7.0.1456, my system just OS farted. The laptop would boot from the BIOS in 15 seconds, and then I had to endure 20 seconds of a black screen with the cursor, and then the welcome screen (I'd type the password fast) and then, 2 minutes of more black screen, and THEN, more system loading. Overall, 4-6 minutes for full system loading.

I factory reset my laptop 4x this week (4 times due to problems during factory reset, such as a few corrupted files and stuff) and the system I'm currently running (factory reset with all Windows 7 latest updates as well as SP1 installed) and it goes from BIOS to all loaded programs in 60 seconds.

Sure, my start-up programs COULD have had been the cause, hadn't I verified by removing each one of them and leaving Avast Services and Startup program to run. Result was identical, if not worse.

Right now I'm uninstalling Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012 with vendors' uninstall tool to get rid of that unwanted antivirus, but I simply can't go back to Avast if it will slow down my system boot + other system operations constantly.

I'm curious whether a fix will be released soon, or if this is a one in a million issue out there. I sincerely like Avast, and I'm not going to install any other AV soon, but I'd have to refuse to installing Avast if my system will be as slowed down as it had.

To clear, I post this with a honorable respect towards the Avast community, not with any rudeness or bashing towards the program, as I have had no problem with the program on my family's 32-bit laptops. This is just to point out a bug/problem (if it is, I'm not sure. It seriously isn't a defect within my system though) existing within Avast.

My system specifications are below:

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium + SP1
Intel Core i7 2630QM Quad Core
Nvidia GeForce GT540M 1GB
6.00GB RAM Memory 1333MHz
640GB HDD - 5'400RPM

looks like a nice system the general problems with installing new software is that it writes nu data to the registry this data is followed disk space build up what people dont do is after the system has this nu data it needs a cleanup I use iobit advanced system cleaner sorry avast for advertising that name on here but I believe it to be the best and with all the addons it has it keeps peoples systems clean and running smoothly
after I installed this product I did a clean also I cracked the program to so I could use all the function (only for my use only)
did not want to breach copyrights
clean you system and then post if it helped

Dunlin

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
I have the same problem, and use Windows 7 64-bit. I am now sick of my laptop freezing and having to restart using the power button. I'm not a computer whizz, but I doubt this does my hard drive any good. I'll reluctantly start looking around for alternative antifvirus software as of today.

Zebrdee

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
@ Berxerker,

I've notified igor to have a look here at your issues, so you should hear from him soon.

@ andrew bell,
"Cracked software?"
I use iobit advanced system cleaner sorry avast for advertising that name on here but I believe it to be the best and with all the addons it has it keeps peoples systems clean and running smoothly
after I installed this product I did a clean also I cracked the program to so I could use all the function (only for my use only)
did not want to breach copyrights
   :o
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801