Author Topic: avast and logger  (Read 5373 times)

tracker303

avast and logger
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:29 PM »
My Pest Control advises me that Avast has placed a module on my computer that monitors my keyboard output!  I assume this is in order to assess whether or not my outgoing mail is virus free.
If it can do that, it can also access my financial records and passwors. Could the forum adminstrator comment on this?>
Thanks ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast and logger
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 12:09:30 AM »
Contact Pest Patrol and tell them about this false positive.
It is an error in their software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:01:57 AM »
My Pest Control advises me that Avast has placed a module on my computer that monitors my keyboard output!  I assume this is in order to assess whether or not my outgoing mail is virus free.

If you set this way, avast have to monitor when computer is idle to generate VRDB (see the 'i' icon or the submenu VRDB into the 'a' icon).
To monitor it, avast check activity on keyboard and mouse.

This is a 'false positive' (not real a virus/worm) from Pest Patrol, which, in fact, was a very good software that promisses more than it can give you... Tons os false positives nowadays...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

tracker303

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the clarification...problem is some of us become paranoid after reading about  the many fatalities we could run into  after connecting to Internet. Ten years ago we could cruise around free of worries but now a days, better be informed of where the dangers lie. Appreciate you relieving me about such a possibility using Avast which I switched to after years of renewing McAfee subscriptions the downloading of which proved problematical this year. I find Avast to be equal to it in every way
Tracker.,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:58:10 AM »
Tracker, feel free to ask any other question about avast. We're here to help you and the others.
If you can, be in forums and try to help the others and share your knowleage  8)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:45:35 AM »
My Pest Control advises me that Avast has placed a module on my computer that monitors my keyboard output!

If it can do that, it can also access my financial records and passwors. Could the forum adminstrator comment on this?

Actually, the first statement (that avast! has a module that monitors the keyboard output) is true - as Technical explained, avast! really watches for user's typing and mouse movements so that it can decide whether the computer is "idle" (and subsequently, start to generate the VRDB).
However, the user activity is not stored anywhere and only the existence of the user activity is monitored (i.e. the only output from the avast! module is if the user is typing anything, not what the user is typing) - so you certainly don't have to be worried about any security implications.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 07:00:23 PM »
However, the user activity is not stored anywhere and only the existence of the user activity is monitored (i.e. the only output from the avast! module is if the user is typing anything, not what the user is typing) - so you certainly don't have to be worried about any security implications.

Thanks Igor... Without your clarification the users will think that avast was somethink like a spyware or keylogger...  8)