Author Topic: Update problems and such  (Read 2746 times)

curtist

Update problems and such
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
I am having problems getting Avast 7 to update manually or automatically. It gets stuck at 'initializing' and will not budge. I tried the 'repair function found in Add/remove programs, but I get an error stating:

"Error processing packages, please use full update"

I have no idea what this means. Can someone help me out?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update problems and such
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
Essentially it means you need to download the full virus database - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 58.7 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Note: Ignore the file name in the example images of the page that is displayed after clicking the download link, they are for the main program, not for vpsupd.exe which will be downloaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

curtist

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »
Essentially it means you need to download the full virus database - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 58.7 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Note: Ignore the file name in the example images of the page that is displayed after clicking the download link, they are for the main program, not for vpsupd.exe which will be downloaded.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

The update is currently downloading. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks a million!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security