Author Topic: Avast_Mac Vs Vikikurva.exe ?  (Read 5272 times)

OldMac

Avast_Mac Vs Vikikurva.exe ?
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »

Hi,

I caught a virus (Vikikurva.exe)  on my memory stick while plugging it in on a PC. Any chance the Avast 7.0, I'm running on my MAC can destroy that stuff?
I have tried to 'delete' it twice. Without success.

Any help would be welcome,

Thanks.

true indian

Re: Avast_Mac Vs Vikikurva.exe ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
upload the infected file to www.virustotal.com

and post the link to results on next reply.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Hi,

At least by the filename it seems that we can detect it. How have you tried to delete it? From within the Explorer on Windows?

Generally, we can detect Windows malware on Mac, so I think a deletion from your Mac should work.

I'm looking forward to the actual result from the virustotal, as was advised by true indian.

Regards,
Jan

OldMac

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »

OldMac

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
To be more precise, I have tried to delete the Vikikurva.exe :

-  once by putting it in the bin and empty the bin. But the file is locked. As consequence, my MAC asked for the administrator password to execute  this action. I didn't comply thinking it could be a clever way for the virus to get the full access to my MAC.

- twice by scanning the file with Avast 7.0, then asking for the file to be destroyed. It didn't work.

Thanks for your post!  :)

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
-  once by putting it in the bin and empty the bin. But the file is locked. As consequence, my MAC asked for the administrator password to execute  this action. I didn't comply thinking it could be a clever way for the virus to get the full access to my MAC.

I think you can safely provide an admin password to delete that file on Mac. EXE files aren't executable on Mac. But I think there's a possibility that it won't work neither. Post here the result, please.

Jan

OldMac

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »

Hello,

I tried the operation 'bin+administrator password'. The virus is still clearly visible on my memory stick after that.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Best wishes,

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
Maybe it's an issue with the memory stick. What type of memory stick do you have? I mean the precise type and vendor.

Thanks,
Jan