Author Topic: [Resolved] Update 7.0.1456 XP SP3 BSOD  (Read 7301 times)

wcricker

[Resolved] Update 7.0.1456 XP SP3 BSOD
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Following the request by pop-up, picked it to update from some older
7.0.xxxx to 7.0.1456.  (I normally accept program updates).

System downloaded and installed the update.

At message "System must reboot to complete update", picked "Later",
then shut down the system.  On restart, got BlueScreenOfDeath with aswsnx.sys

Using the smart phone, found a web page explaining a problem found with the
sandbox and so set AutoSandboxEnable=0.  Reboot still goes to BSOD, but
now shows the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA without any associated
file name.

Using awclear, removed the package.  Downloaded and reinstalled 7.0.1456.
It starts up and runs and updates the virus database.  On reboot it still goes
to BSOD.

Remove and reinstall yet again, and same result.

At this juncture advice would be apriciated on what is the next step.  One site
suggests remove Avast and use something else.  However, as I've been using
this stuff for several years, and I just bought another year's license, I am loath
to do such a thing.

Advice?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:59:03 PM by wcricker »

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Update 7.0.1456 XP SP3 BSOD
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
Create zip file and add mini/full dump files,send ZIP file to Avast team/lab via FTP. (don,t forget to rename ZIP file with unique name-your nick avast BSOD....)

Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/
FTP program= http://filehippo.com/download_filezilla/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:58:05 PM by JuninhoSlo »

wcricker

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
The file WCRICKER_BSOD_7.0.1459_XPSP3_Minidump.zip is copied, thanks

WCR

wcricker

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
While you folks are looking into this, my machine remains without protection.   Can you tell me where to get an older version?  One which may load and run without the BlueScreen?
Thanks

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
Avast 7.0.1426:
Avast Free AV:  http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=7370
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD or desktop. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS online.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

If you do not want Chrome as your default browser, remember to untick the Chrome buttons on the bottom left of your screen during installation, and you can do a Custom install if there is anything else you do not want.

wcricker

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
Followed your instructions and when it was first loaded, I updated the virus def's, rebooted a couple of times and let it run for a bit.  Everything was just fine.

Next, I applied my current PRO license file. The program automatically upgraded to Avast PRO.  This included downloading and installing the 7.0.1456 version. At the time I wasn't sure if I should cancel that upgrade so I let it run through.  The reboot which follows the upgrade produced another BlueScreen.

I've now removed it again and reinstalled the 7.0.1426 version and not registered. 

Recommendations?

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Make sure when you install again, that under GUI > Settings > Updates > Programs > you check off "Ask" (not automatic update).  This will prevent the program from automatically updating to the newer version.

wcricker

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »
OK, but ...   When I apply the license file it wants to upgrade to PRO.  That happens because of the license, and if I cancel, it shows the one month remaining on the free, unregistered installation.

wcricker

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:18 AM »
The Software has made a liar of me.  After a few minutes I went back to the GUI to see if the latest virus def's are there and found that the license file is in fact registered with the un-updated software.  So all is well for now.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »
So everything is working fine now?  If so, good to hear.  :)  If not, please let me know and I will continue to work with you.

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

wcricker

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
"Resolved" is a big word.  I have a system with the previous version of Avast! up and running.  The initial problem was BSOD with the 7.0.1456 update.

I'll be happy to wait for the release which fixes the BSOD problem, and to provide any info I can to help in resolving that problem.

I've not used your forum before, so I don't know, does this count as "resolved"?

WCR

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
It would close this thread since you corrected the problem by putting the lower version in to get your machine to work, so that is resolved.   However the newer version, which will get a face lift should fix the problems people are experiencing (keeping my fingers crossed), so that should be a fix for that version.  You can certainly change your title again if you wish to open your thread or open a new thread if you wish...it is up to you.

wcricker

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
Closing was delayed as we had another problem and thought it was Avast!.  Isolated to cockpit error, so the post is closed.  We look forward to your next upgrade fixing the underlying problem.  Thanks for your help.