Author Topic: Very very slow scans please help  (Read 3387 times)

Little Dave

Very very slow scans please help
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »
Hello, I have recently upgraded my Mac Mini to OS X Mountain Lion and since doing so my copy of Avast free for Mac (with the latest updates) seems to be taking over 12 hours to preform a full system scan including a 500gb Time Machine removable backup hard disk drive.

Please can anybody help me as it is driving me crazy not being able to preform a single scan since upgrading as I do not want to leave my system running for over 12 hours.

Oh one more thing it doesn't seem to be stalling on any one file for any length of time, which I thought was very strange considering how long it is taking to preform the scan.
And it does seem to take a lot longer on my Time Machine drive than the internal hard disk drive.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Very very slow scans please help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
Hello,

What's the total amount of data being scanned? I mean the system drive plus the time machine drive.

How long did it take prior upgrading to the Mountain Lion?

Thanks,
Jan

Little Dave

Re: Very very slow scans please help
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
The total amount being scanned is just under 600Gb.
I am new to using avast as I heard such good things about it including how quick and lightweight the application is.
So in short I had never preformed a full virus scan using avast before upgrading to Mountain Lion :( 
I did however use iAntivirus which used up quite a lot of memory and on a full system scan took about 2 hours on average (when running nothing else)