Author Topic: Another possible solution for slow loading of Avast! in windows 7 ...  (Read 2944 times)

drummerman

I noticed the avast icon was the last thing to load in the taskbar after the latest update. Boot time increased substantially with it, to over 2 minutes.

I've dragged the avast icon to the right on the fully loaded taskbar and placed it before the commodo icon (in my case).

I wasn't aware boot up sequence can be changed in windows 7 without 3rd party programmes but this seems to do it.

Boot up time/loading is now comparable to what it was before.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:21:33 AM by drummerman »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
hmmm......interesting

GTX66

My Avast Icon has always been in that location. Boot time for me is 2 to 3 minutes and I have a fast machine. I don't shut mine off at night though, just use hybrid-sleep so this is not a real issue for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
For me the boot duration hasn't changed in any noticeable way, XP Desktop still boots in around a minute and my win7 netbook I haven't measured but it is quicker, but again no noticeable increase in boot times in the time that I have had it.

I didn't know about dragging in the win7 taskbar, I don't know if it would change loading order (boot sequence); though there would be little point (other than aesthetics) in allowing the dragging if it didn't have some effect.

On the XP system the avast tray icon has always been displayed early (but no drag and drop in XP), not so for win7 (about 3rd/4th), but the avast tray icon isn't the avast main service, avastSvc.exe, but only the means to get to the user interface avastUI.exe.

I too generally don't shutdown the netbook, just let it go into a deep sleep
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:16:04 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drummerman

Booted up this morning ... back to 'normal' (slooow)

The fact that it could boot quickly, although only for a day or so (!) would indicate that the slow loading process is probably not normal ...

... this AV needs work done.

Still, I like the orange colour scheme so wont change just yet  ;D