Author Topic: Avast updating agent slowing my computer.  (Read 7644 times)

sepiashimmer

Avast updating agent slowing my computer.
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
Avast updating agent slowing my computer and making my music stutter.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
Re: Avast updating agent slowing my computer.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
What OS and what avast!-version do you use?
Firewall?
Any other security software installed?

If you use V7, try to set the stream-updates to OFF?

Is it better now?
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
Streaming updates cannot really slow down anything.
What exactly do you mean by "updating agent"?

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
Streaming updates cannot really slow down anything.

I'm sure, they can. At my PC they are slowing down the system-start, when new streaming-updates are there!

If there aren't new streaming-updates (for example at night) the system-start is faster...
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
Ah but your system pre-dates the dinosaur ;D
So anything over and above the basic stuff on or close to boot may put it under load.

Personally I feel the same as Igor, that it 'shouldn't slow' the boot, but the actual auto update check may as there is greater resource use with this. That however, can be delayed by modifying the avast5.ini file, but the streaming updates don't abide by the avast5.ini auto update delay instruction.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sepiashimmer

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
What OS and what avast!-version do you use?
Firewall?
Any other security software installed?

If you use V7, try to set the stream-updates to OFF?

Is it better now?

Latest free version of avast.
Firewall: Zone alarm free
No other security software.

Will turning it off pose any security threat and how will it update?

sepiashimmer

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
Ah but your system pre-dates the dinosaur ;D
So anything over and above the basic stuff on or close to boot may put it under load.

Personally I feel the same as Igor, that it 'shouldn't slow' the boot, but the actual auto update check may as there is greater resource use with this. That however, can be delayed by modifying the avast5.ini file, but the streaming updates don't abide by the avast5.ini auto update delay instruction.

My sys specs are exactly like yours.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
My comment was directed at ~SKY~'s post directly above mine and her system is win2k.

If your specs are the same as mine (XP Pro, 2GB RAM and a relatively fast dual core CPU) then in theory you shouldn't be suffering, but you don't say when this occurs, normally the avast auto update check (you only mention update agent and I don't know what you mean by that) on boot may slow boot slightly.

But you are saying it slows your music, surely you aren't playing music on boot.

So if you could give more detailed information on exactly when this is happening and what you were doing ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sepiashimmer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
My comment was directed at ~SKY~'s post directly above mine and her system is win2k.

Oh...I couldn't tell as you didn't quote ~SKY~'s post.

If your specs are the same as mine (XP Pro, 2GB RAM and a relatively fast dual core CPU) then in theory you shouldn't be suffering, but you don't say when this occurs, normally the avast auto update check (you only mention update agent and I don't know what you mean by that) on boot may slow boot slightly.

But you are saying it slows your music, surely you aren't playing music on boot.

So if you could give more detailed information on exactly when this is happening and what you were doing ?

Usually this occurs when windows starts up.  But sometimes it randomly updates and during those times sometimes I would be listening or watching something.
It comes as "avast.setup" in windows task manager.

Haha...I really don't know how I can play while booting.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
1. I usually don't quote for the post directly above, other than that I quote the part that I'm responding to.

2. You may gain some time on boot if you delay the auto update check, that won't make any difference outside of the first auto update check (close to boot).

Delay Auto Update - In avast7 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP file location), this folder may be hidden.

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=180 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=180
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.
This will delay the auto update check by 180 seconds.

3. That's why I asked when it happened as you mentioned it made your music stutter ;D
Avast updating agent slowing my computer and making my music stutter.