Author Topic: Steam, Win32:Malware-gen HELP!  (Read 7732 times)

hubert02065

Steam, Win32:Malware-gen HELP!
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Hi,
when I opened my steam platform avast7 detected Win32: Malware-gen
put it into quarantine, then discovered the same thing in Trend Micro Internet Security and also quarantine. I am a child so I want to make sure I can sleep peacefully. I have Windows7 and avast7 and trend micro internet security.

HELP!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:32:28 PM by hubert02065 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Steam, Win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
there is already a post or two about the steam detection here....see below your post

OBS: do you have avast and Trend Micro installed ?

hubert02065

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
Yes i have installed avast7 and trend micro. At now avast virus detected nine of which 3 in steam and 6 in Trend Micro detects all the time what to do help!

hubert02065

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
The full system scan and quick scan found nothing 4 viruses were removed and five kwarantanie however still shows me a message about malware, Trend Micro what do I do?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
Yes i have installed avast7 and trend micro. At now avast virus detected nine of which 3 in steam and 6 in Trend Micro detects all the time what to do help!
never install more then one Antivirus......

you need to uninstall one

after uninstall run removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict    http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

running multiple AV will create all kind of windows errors and false positive detections

if you want a extra scanner use malwarebytes

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:31:24 PM by Pondus »

PHo

Re: Steam, Win32:Malware-gen HELP!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
I am using latest Avast free. I play all kinds of flight simulators. A couple of days ago I bought from UBI (from a dealer in my country) IL2 Cliffs of Dover. Very nice game indeed. UBI uses Steam server for downloads, net playing and what so ever... (that I don't need). Soon after using CoD Avast found at boot and quranteed Win32:malware-gen virus/badware/... or what it is. OK for me but it prevents also the Steam to run and that prevents me to play CoD! Avast informed the malware is in ...\CliffsOfDover\FileSystem_steam.dll file. This same process repeated every time I booted the PC. So I was stuck there with the game.

Then I did run the Avast with option check right after boot. It took more than 6 hours! So I couldn't just stir the monitor to find out what it did. However next time I booted PC  the malware was gone and I could play.

Now this morning after 2 days it stroke again! this time malware-gen was reported to be in file tier0_s.dll in CoD's (and Steam's) main folder. My suspicions show towards the Steam server. Is it feeding computers with this malware? According to your listing ony Avast and some other virus scanner finds it. How many people there is in the world with this malware without knowing that?

I don't even need any internet server for games because I don't play net games but there was no options with this one. It installed Steam without asking me anything. With other games (than from UBI) there is always an option not to use internet servers. In my computer there is and hasn't been any viruses ever and some malware (all from internet for example while surfing) are handled by Avast.

How can I get rid of this bastard (I mean the malware not UBI  ;D)? I am not fond of waiting 6 hours every time.

I have informed UBI too but haven't get any answer yet.

Thanks

PHo

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:33:47 PM by PHo »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Steam, Win32:Malware-gen HELP!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
It was a FP and has been fixed.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0