Author Topic: Mountain Lion: NO GOOD  (Read 14733 times)

claudiocortez

Mountain Lion: NO GOOD
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
My system:

Macbook Air 13.3 i7 intel quad-core (mid-2011)
Last 'Lion' version prior to Mountain Lion final release

WHAT I DID

Avast was working just fine with regular Lion, then I update to Mountain Lion and begin to experience some logging off. When I would boot up Mountain Lion it would immediately log me right off. I would have re-enter my pass and it would log me off again...up to 3/4 times before I would finally remain logged in.

As a tech, I figured it could be one of my start-up apps so what I did was test each one...one by one and voila...the culprit was the freeware avast for the Mac.

Obviously I uninstalled it and did not have the issue again.

I think I will stick to my original security features on my web browser instead of having a lame anti-virus screwing everything up on my system. SHAME on Avast for not being ready for Mountain Lion knowing that they could have ran tests during the ML beta releases.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Mountain Lion: NO GOOD
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
Probably best if this topic was in the avast! for Mac forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0. Hopefully one of the moderators can move it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
Hello,

Of course we've tested the avast! for Mac on the latest OS X Mountain Lion. Antivirus software occasionally have unpredictable interactions with other software installed on your Mac and a resulting crash my be a product of bugs in that other software. We constantly fix these issues on our side even if it's not our fault.

We are sorry for any troubles caused even remotely by our software. We'd be happy to hear a specific list of other software you use like system tools, firewalls etc. We'll try to simulate the behavior here and fix it, if possible.

Regards,
Jan

rhwills

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
i was running Lion with Avast for Mac and Parallels Desktop (to allow Windows 7 programs to work on the Mac).  All was working well.  Yesterday I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.  Mountain Lion "uninstalled" Avast for Mac and the Parallels Desktop; putting them in a folder for programs "incompatible" with OS 10.8.  I hope that Avast can work with Apple to resolve this problem.

I can't find the version because mountain lion won't let me start avast to get the version number.  I installed Avast on July 24, 2012.  It would be the version that was current on that day. 

I have screen shots that I would like to send, but I don't know how to add an attachment.

If I click the Avast application itself, i get an Avast pop-up offering to repair the program.  I am afraid to do this since Apple thinks the application is incompatible enough that they removed it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:08:27 PM by rhwills »

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Thanks for your report. What version of avast! for Mac did you have?

rhwills

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »
I added to my posting of yesterday.  Please advise how to add attachments.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
Thanks for your feedback. It's safe to repair avast! on Mountain Lion. This is the way how it starts to be compatible with Mountain Lion. The only difference between former version and the Mountain Lion compatible version is our digital signature. By repairing we'll replace unsigned stuff with the properly signed content.

I hope this will help.

BTW To attach things to posts use the "Attachments and other options" link right below the field used to write the message.

Regards,
Jan

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
i was running Lion with Avast for Mac and Parallels Desktop (to allow Windows 7 programs to work on the Mac).  All was working well.  Yesterday I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.  Mountain Lion "uninstalled" Avast for Mac and the Parallels Desktop; putting them in a folder for programs "incompatible" with OS 10.8.  I hope that Avast can work with Apple to resolve this problem.

I can't find the version because mountain lion won't let me start avast to get the version number.  I installed Avast on July 24, 2012.  It would be the version that was current on that day. 

I have screen shots that I would like to send, but I don't know how to add an attachment.

If I click the Avast application itself, i get an Avast pop-up offering to repair the program.  I am afraid to do this since Apple thinks the application is incompatible enough that they removed it.

avast! for Mac is compatible with OS X 10.8 since build 37264, which has been release prior to the final release of 10.8. I don't know what version you have installed so I recommend you to download avast! once again from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac and install.

Regards,
Mity

Blowers

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »

I too have just begun having troubles with Avast on Mountain Lion. It was working OK until I installed an app from the app store called "Snip". I checked the log and discovered that Avast was causing a kernel panic. I uninstalled "Snip" but the problem with shut down errors continued afterwards. After I run a full system scan, I get about 4 warnings, but I know these files are OK. When I reboot the computer I get a message telling me that I had previously shut down my computer due to an error. My Mac is a early 2011 Macbook pro with 8GB of RAM

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

I too have just begun having troubles with Avast on Mountain Lion. It was working OK until I installed an app from the app store called "Snip". I checked the log and discovered that Avast was causing a kernel panic. I uninstalled "Snip" but the problem with shut down errors continued afterwards. After I run a full system scan, I get about 4 warnings, but I know these files are OK. When I reboot the computer I get a message telling me that I had previously shut down my computer due to an error. My Mac is a early 2011 Macbook pro with 8GB of RAM

Hallo,
in the case of "Snip" (screen grabber) this might be just a coincidence. But, anyway, try to switch avast's shields off (in preferences) - does the effect disappear in this case?

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

bilbo--baggins

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
I had the latest version of Avast for Mac installed, and re-installed Mountain Lion 10.8.2 via the recovery partition (internet download).  After the reinstall, it had moved Avast! to a folder named Incompatible Software.

ie. latest version of Mountain Lion, and latest version of Avast!

Either there must be something about Avast that the installer considers incompatible, or perhaps Apple's installer has a list of applications they consider incompatible.

mustang64

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
Hi There,
I don't know what is causing Avast not to work, I am not much help at all, however I have the latest version of Mtn Lion and the lastest updates from Avast and everything is working 100%.

There has to be some software on your box that is conflicting with the program and I would not blame Avast. try turning off progs if you can without having to get rid/uninstalling/ etc you guys seem to have some sort of conflict with one or more progs, good luck!
~Verne~

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
I had the latest version of Avast for Mac installed, and re-installed Mountain Lion 10.8.2 via the recovery partition (internet download).  After the reinstall, it had moved Avast! to a folder named Incompatible Software.

ie. latest version of Mountain Lion, and latest version of Avast!

Either there must be something about Avast that the installer considers incompatible, or perhaps Apple's installer has a list of applications they consider incompatible.

Reinstall avast?