Author Topic: Avast Internet Security blocking Yahoo Messenger  (Read 3093 times)

Offline valkn

Avast Internet Security blocking Yahoo Messenger
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »
Hey there.

I've been a loyal Avast user for the past 5-6 years. Since the program has responded well over the years, recently I decided to upgrade from the Professional Antivirus to the Internet Security option. Other than installing the AIS, I've changed absolutely nothing else in my PC.

My problem is that since the installation of AIS I cannot use Yahoo Messenger anymore. Yes, I can log in, but that's it. All the little pop ups that come up after logging in (the window with yahoo news, the window with offline messages, the window with friend request) all appear blank. When I open a chat window and send a message to my friends, the text that I type doesn't appear in the text area once I press enter, it just disappears. The same when friends send me text; the chat window opens but it remains blank even though they send several lines of text.

I run on Windows vista x32 SP2, I have updated to the latest versions of AIS and Yahoo Messenger.  I have tried disabling the shields but no positive results. The only thing left is to uninstall AIS but I don't see how that can help.

my problems are similar to this other post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=96548.msg769995#msg769995

I will appreciate any comments or any help. Or if any of you went through the same would you be kind enough to be specific on the steps you took to fix it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to downgrade back from AIS to the Professional Antivirus? I thought going all the way to AIS was going to make my life easier....

Thank you for your help :)

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Internet Security blocking Yahoo Messenger
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
hey do you have allowed yahoo to run in the avast firewall?

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=970&nav=0,2,66 i think this should be able to help you out.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM