Author Topic: Error 42125 Application Data SuperAntispyware  (Read 14847 times)

standeb

Error 42125 Application Data SuperAntispyware
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Hello all,

I run windows XP Pro. SP3. Avast Home free. I started a bootup scan which revealed the following error:-

C:\Documents and Settings\mrsmart\Application Data\SuperAntispeare.com\SuperAntispyware\Quarantine\Quarantine.db\<data error 42125{zip archive is corrupted}.

I have knowledge that switching off system restore, restarting the computer and then switching on system restore may solve that problem, however when that is done I would have no restore points until one comes up or that I create one. Further that solution can lead to breaking the connection to system restore which renders it unusable and it's quite difficult to fix that. I have experienced this on another computer.

Taking into consideration that "the archive is corrupt only means that Avast cannot read the files and that it can be ignored", does not cut it for many users. Why have a anti virus program running when it can't read all files? What is the position if the files are not only corrupt but infected? Avast will never pick that up because it cant'read the files. Therefore what is the most viable solution to the problem? Do I uninstal SuperAntispyware, download and re-install the same, or what?

I am thankful and most obliged for any assistance and suggestions with a view to solving this problem.

Thanking you for your kind consideration.

standeb.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Error 42125 Application Data SuperAntispyware
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
OK it is iin the SAS quarantine so it will be encrypted to some degree but as stated by Avast the data is corrupt.  Therefore it will never be able to run so is not a threat.  Resetting the restore points is not called for as it is not in that area.  As soon as system restore is switched back on it will create a point automatically 

The simple solution would be to empty SAS's quarantine folder

Making sense of corrupt data is exceedingly difficult and is only worth while if you wish to re-use whatever is corrupted, as it is in quarantine I do not think you would want to do that 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error 42125 Application Data SuperAntispyware
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Many scanners don't even tell you about the files that couldn't be scanned, avast does and tells you why it couldn't be scanned. Most people are blissfully ignorant that some files couldn't be scanned in their security software as they aren't told.

In this instance disabling and re-enabling system restore won't make any difference at the notice has nothing to do with system restore or the ?:\system volume information_restore points. All that does is clear the restore points it won't do anything about file corruption.

If a database is corrupt that the scan can't unpack it in order to scan it, yes it would be possible to scan the raw data of a database file (corrupt or otherwise), but it would be highly unlikely if that quarantine database contained any malware the signatures as the content would have been compressed. Only in its uncompressed (unpacked) state would you be able to compare the content against the virus signatures.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security