Author Topic: Abnormal ashServ.exe?  (Read 12530 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Abnormal ashServ.exe?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »
Yes, the number is reasonable.
Please note that we're not necessarily talking physical RAM here. Just VM (virtual memory).
Given your PC config I wouldn't really worry (in fact avast does a pretty good job even on 128M machines...).

And about the ashServ.exe high priority - this is by design. The rationale behind this is that since ashServ needs to be activated on almost all file opens (as it scans files on-open) it should complete its job asap. Hence the high priority... (and it seems to be really working, too ;))

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cinderian

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 04:49:37 AM »
I have 512 MB Ram and  a 866 MHz processor.  I thought my memory problems would be over, but it seems I am wrong.

I was concerned I had a virus and was concerned when I noticed that AshServ.exe was the fourth highest running process at 13,336 VM Size with 63,000,000 I/O Reads in just 2 hours. 

When WebRoot SpySweeper is scanning, and explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe (at 15,000 k each) are running including AshServ.exe, my system comes to a crippling halt.     ???

Incidentally Svchost.exe takes the cake (pid 984) as the highest running process at 15,208 k. 

I really like Avast AntiVirus.   ;D  I have used the product as a home user for more than a couple of years.  I tried many of the others but kept coming back to Avast. 

My final question:  Does the Avast Home program itself get targeted by viruses, and if so, what should I be watching for?

Thanks!!!! :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 07:03:39 AM »
866MHz CPU is quiet slow now so you can't expect it'll work without any performance penalties. I/O Reads are normal since avast! is antivirus and needs to access files very often. Memory usage is also fine,so i don't see the problem except too slow CPU.
Try overclocking it or buy new one. Faster CPUs for this socket shouldn't be too expensive and you could get some nice performance gains.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

cinderian

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 07:09:57 AM »
Thank you for your most repectful and articulate reply.  I suppose that I should not  be concerned about a virus invading avast.  Thanks again. :D