Author Topic: UWIN login.exe linking to Avast dll  (Read 6099 times)

chrisrose

UWIN login.exe linking to Avast dll
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
I'm having a problem with UWIN login.exe (ksh) which I think is related to the Avast (version 6.0.123) install. I say that because, I just discovered that after removing Avast, the ksh runs without error.

The problem with UWIN ksh:
when you issue the ping command and then Ctrl-C it during the response, the shell will terminate after receiving the kill signal and close the terminal window. Just before it closes you will receive the Trace message in the terminal window: Trace/BPT trap

Showing the Trace message is expected. Closing the terminal window (the ksh 'exit') is not.

Uninstall Avast and ksh does not exit, but does show the Trap message as expected. With Avast installed, ldd /usr/bin/login.exe shows:

emachines2 /home/chris 102 $ ldd /usr/bin/login.exe
        ntdll => /sys/ntdll.dll
        kernel32 => /sys/kernel32.dll
        KernelBase => /sys/KernelBase.dll
        snxhk64 => /C/Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast/snxhk64.dll   <<<--- Avast?
        ast54 => /sys/ast54.dll
        posix => /sys/posix.dll
        advapi32 => /sys/advapi32.dll
        msvcrt => /sys/msvcrt.dll
        sechost => /sys/sechost.dll
        rpcrt4 => /sys/rpcrt4.dll
        user32 => /sys/user32.dll
        gdi32 => /sys/gdi32.dll
        lpk => /sys/lpk.dll
        usp10 => /sys/usp10.dll
        shell32 => /sys/shell32.dll
        shlwapi => /sys/shlwapi.dll
        mpr => /sys/mpr.dll
        winmm => /sys/winmm.dll                   

Note the link-in of /C/Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast/snxhk64.dll

From other searches this lib has the sandbox objects. When Avast is not installed the linker does not show this library via ldd and the shell runs without error and does not close the terminal on Ctrl-C.

I've also observed the broken ksh when issuing the unix 'id' command. I've google'd this problem quite a bit and found that others have inquired about this problem but no one responded with a solution. In the native Unix world you'd modify or create the LD_LIBRARY_PATH linker environment variable so as to not reference the Avast path. A switch like that might solve the problem. But the UWIN environment setting for that feature is not documented. I'd go into the Avast directory and move the library, but I don't want to break the sandbox feature.

One question (curiosity): does the inclusion of this library and it's objects enable Avast sandbox to deal with examining an executable, or is this an conflicting configuration.

I have not tried other versions of Avast yet. I'd like to know the true nature of the problem before randomly searching for solutions. I've been running Avast for over 2 years with great success. Once installed, I never updated Avast except for the 'engine and virus definitions'. So I'm not sure how long I've been running this version. See the attached Maintenance->Update screen shot. 

Another data point: on a 32bit system with UWIN and Avast installed (version 7.0.1426), ksh handles the signal correctly and does not Exit. The ldd does not show any Avast dll. The broken system is 64Bit.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: UWIN login.exe linking to Avast dll
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »
Hi chrisrose,

System specs would be helpful here.  Is this a linux system running win avast! or mac?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

chrisrose

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
It's an x64bit windows 7 system.

The installed unix environment which includes the ksh shell is UWIN:

http://www2.research.att.com/~gsf/cgi-bin/download.cgi?action=list&name=uwin-base

Thanks,
Chris

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »
It's an x64bit windows 7 system.

The installed unix environment which includes the ksh shell is UWIN:

http://www2.research.att.com/~gsf/cgi-bin/download.cgi?action=list&name=uwin-base

Thanks,
Chris
@Chris,

I think I got it.  Here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UWIN  This would allow a linux based program to run on windows?  So the issue is that ksh will not run properly with Avast! installed, is that still correct?

This most likely would require the assistance of a programmer to pin down where the ksh process terminates unexpectedly, I am with you where you would not want to lose the functionality of the Avast! sandbox by entering into that area.  Undocumented fixes or changes can always be set back to where they were prior to a change if a disk-imaging program were used like Ghost, maybe?

Problem with undocumented support is just that, not documented as a fix that will work on all systems.  You may well have to provide your own support in this instance, or find another a/v solution compatible with running UWIN.  Problem is, Avast! is one of the upper-echelon a/v solutions out there that is available to the general public.

Maybe creating a support ticket with Avast! support team may be one way to go:  http://www.avast.com/support?  You may have to be somewhat persistent to get actionable advice on this issue here to get it resolved.

You could try Sandboxie:  http://www.avast.com/support  At least there, the vendor and developer does give personal support on his website with issues regarding this program.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

chrisrose

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
Mchain,
thanks for the review of the problem and your recommendations.

Chris

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »