Author Topic: XP pro SP3 problems (7.0.1456.418)  (Read 5077 times)

VandenBerg

XP pro SP3 problems (7.0.1456.418)
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »
I use XP pro SP3 (English version). Hardware Abstraction Layer "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

After an automatic upgrade from the paid version, 1456 wasted my machine. I managed to remove it after a system restore and Safe Mode. I use NO other Firewall or anything locally on my machine. If the MS-Firewall was already on, I expect the installer to work around it or use suitable settings.

I downloaded avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (version 7.0.1456.418) and observed no strange behaviour during installation nor at the finish. No questions to install Google Chrome.

After 1456 installed:
1) I miss some System Tray Icons such as the "LAN Connection" and probably the Speaker Icon.
2) In Control Panel, Add-Remove programms: no installed programms show up. List is empty.
3) In Control Panel, Network Connections: no installed connections show up. List is empty.
4) Internet Explorer 8 does NOT run.
5) Mozilla Firefox 13.0.1 runs fine.

After I removed the manually installed Avast 1456, i did an online Kaspersky Security Scan and found
nothing active. KSS.EXE is still on. I removed Quicktime and Adobe Shockwave.

I AGAIN downloaded avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (STILL version 7.0.1456.418) and installed it under another administrator account. I observed the same as listed above so removed Avast again. Avast control panel is also 'shaky'. I couldn't disable its firewall nor its shield. I had to use brute force.

I use Avast for many years without a problem. I recommend it to friends and family. This is the first time it goes wrong. And goes wrong seriously. What is Avast going to do about it? [W7 automatic update was OK. 50 % luck I guess  :D]

SafeSurf

Re: XP pro SP3 problems (7.0.1456.418)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD (if not already done):
Version 7.0.1456:         
Avast Pro AV:    http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD or desktop. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and add the license key for Pro online.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  Thank you.

VandenBerg

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »
No that doesn't work.

Yes I am a noob:
- The darn remover cannot remove several previous versions, unless you think you know in what Directories. So somewhat something in my programm dirs is lost. I will work on that but had hoped I could do that protected Safesurfer...

- Even with a license file on my Hard Drive, it needs an Internet connection to verify it. Or the install process just doesn't start.
- So with Internet on and the license file on the HD, (Microsoft FW disabled) it starts to install, every now and than flashing internet connection, displaying the Android advertisement.
- At 100 % thermometer, it starts the Windows Installer that never ends (and shows zero % in tasks mgr).

- This is different behavior than on the previous two attempts. They clearly finished the install and asked to reboot.
- After killing MSI and Setup I just rebooted, removed it (yes version 7 and I know the dir name). Repeated install with same result.
- Next time, with out killing MSI and Setup, i found the Avast Dir in the Programms dir and aggressively clicked every App there was. Starting with the 'Emergency Updater'.
- At first instance nothing happened. Some of them caused a task to be added and disappeared. Or no task started until the System Tray proudly announced "Avast successfully installed". But Icon had a Red Cross: Not active.
- So i played around in the Avast UI, avoiding clicks to upgrade and finally found the place where I (again?) could insert the license file.
- It verified my name and claimed it couldn't be verified: "RPC error..." Yeah Right.

Minutes later I learned that the "half installed version" was the free version. Not the Pro.

I think I ditch my windows. Do a fresh install when I return from holidays and hope to never need to come back here. In 4 weeks, Avast may even have released a new version where all these silly User Problems are resolved  :'(

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
Remember to use the link to the Avast Uninstaller I gave you...not an older version of an uninstaller because it changed.  And to uninstall ALL previous versions you had on this machine one at a time and reboot in between each one while in SAFE mode.

After you install Avast, remember to reboot your machine before you start using it.

Let us know how it goes.

VandenBerg

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
Thx Safesurfer for your free advice. I don't complain. I followed all instructions and I am sorry to say it didn't work.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
When you return, there should be some additional changes.  I hope by then things will improve.  Please check back with us and let us know how things go.  Thank you.

VandenBerg

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
I returned a little earlier <from holidays> but don't want to surf unsafe.
So I tried 1451: and observed same or similar problem as with 1456. Which is strange because I was thinking that my previous was 1451 and only the update to 1456 caused 'my' problems...

- Anyways, booted to safe mode again <no internet> removed ALL (!) previous versions
removal program forces you to reboot
- booted to normal mode, disabled LAN interface
- installed 1426 from oldsoftware.com
[[why are previous versions not available from Avast especially if there are so many known problems at this time]]

<<<<after several trial and errors where again 1456 was installed>>>>

- I learned how to fool Avast to accept my genuine License Key File AND NOT UPGRADE to the latest version.
- Make sure the settings for "program update" are set to manual.
- WITH LAN INTERFACE DISABLED: select "upgrade to Pro"
- ENTER License File and confirm you want to use it.
- It than starts the update process which fails (without warnings of course) because it cannot find the next version (via the internet). It in fact doesn't know what the latest version is because it cannot be checked. The 1 of 3 steps thermometer doesn't move an inch.
- Press Cancel to stop the install/update.
- Reboot
- Enable LAN INTERFACE
- Check and see that the virus definitions get updated.
- Observe that the Firewall component isn't installed (because oldsoftware.com only has the Free Trial version without it).
- Do not try to fix that because you will end up with the full 1456 'extra surprise' edition...

Besides, I have Window FW active again and my providers router has a firewall too.
I have received several Virus definition updates automatically.

I must be pretty safe surfing I guess.

When is the next version available?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:18:25 PM by VandenBerg »