Author Topic: Email Scanning  (Read 2834 times)

DickinsMCF

Email Scanning
« on: January 07, 2005, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm running the free home version, I have five POP/SMTP email account in OE all but one are on the same servers. I also have an IMAP account on another server. I am not sure what updates have installed as I have got broadband and they auto-install. When I first installed it, it worked fine with no configuration. Now it works fine with incoming emails, however, outgoing mail on the SMTP refuse to send. I am not to worried about the outgoing mail being scanned, and I'm not at all worried about the IMAP, as that server scans them automatically at its end. However, it would be nice for the SMTP to be off, or working. I typed 'email' into the help and under 'Mail Protection Wizard' it told me to go to Start, Programs, avast! Antivirus, Mail Protection Wizard. The MPW is not there (probably as I'm running the free edition). Then in help I selected MPW:Others , this looked far too time consuming.. can I just turn it off, and where?

Thanks

Matt Dickins

watchthisspace

Re: Email Scanning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 12:36:12 PM »
Go to the on-access protection control then follow the picture for turning off the STMP outgoing scanning.The Mail protection wizard is now auto under 200/XP (mabey NT)
Hopfully this helps
Welcome to the forums

Watchthisspace

watchthisspace

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 11:21:25 PM »
Sorry I forgot to add the picture

DickinsMCF

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks, that was the screen I was looking for. Since, I discovered it was my connection, my ISP refused to let me use their SMTP servers whilst connected through a different ISP (now £15.95 capless 256kb broadband) was a dialup connection through tiscali. Does one have to configure the STMP server in it to scan them or can it do it auto?

Thanks
Matt

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 04:50:51 AM »
Does one have to configure the STMP server in it to scan them or can it do it auto?

If you have Windows 98\Me, you have to run Mail Protection Wizard and choose the smpt servers.
On Windows 2k/XP (NT) the protection is automatic...  ;)
The best things in life are free.