Author Topic: Please help with rootkit problem  (Read 25944 times)

jeffce

Re: Please help with rootkit problem
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Hi,

See if you can run the instructions for FRST again.  If you are able to do so, please attach the log that is created.

nastyhobbit

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »

No luck when running FRST from the flashdrive again. It's the same as before. After "Windows is loading files", the blue/white screen appears and after a while I get the error message:
System Recovery Options
Installed program cannot start. Click OK to turn off the computer.

jeffce

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
Hi,

I don't think that these are necessarily related.  As a precaution I would begin to backup all your data immediately as you may have a failing hard drive and that is what is throwing the Error 0xC000003E.   :-\

nastyhobbit

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Yeah I already backed up my files. So do you think it's better if I just reformat my hard drive? I mean, the rootkit and the boot problems will disappear if I reformat my computer? I could do that. And this time, I won't be installing Ad-Aware.  :P

jeffce

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
Well....anytime that I might find a rootkit I (myself) would just format the hard drive, but that is just my opinion.  It will certainly remove any remaining malware and give you a fresh Windows platform.  Just let me know what you want to do.  :)

nastyhobbit

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
Okay I'll probably just do that. Thanks. So is it okay if I reset the computer to factory settings, or is it better to reformat with a Windows 7 installer?

And for next time, how do I avoid getting my computer infected with rootkits again? This was the first time I heard about this, to be honest.

jeffce

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
In my opinion it is always better to do a full reinstall when you get a rootkit on your system.  :)

how do I avoid getting my computer infected with rootkits again?
The best advice I can give you is to keep all of your software up to date and just be careful with the sites that you visit and emails that you open.