Author Topic: Infected file cannot be moved to Chest or Repaired  (Read 5076 times)

Offline CupcakeCharmer

Infected file cannot be moved to Chest or Repaired
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
Greetings fellow users!
Recently I ran a scan through my newly purchased avast! Internet Security that had revealed to me that an infected file was detected, reading

C:\HP\Bin\EndProcess.exe

From the previous forms that I skimmed through, this file is necessary to correctly execute a "System Restore". My computers CPU usage is spiking heavily and can not seem to accomplish it's system restore.

I tried running it through Safe Mode with Command Prompt, but this seemed to also fail me.

Please, Avast team, let me know what I can do or how can my Antivirus help me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Infected file cannot be moved to Chest or Repaired
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
Do you actually have the avast! Server version, I suspect not ?

If not hopefully one of the moderators can move it to the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum.

To start with it looks you have elected to scan for PUPs ?
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program - See http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci1066761,00.html. Not included in this definition are tools which can be used for good or evil, some have been legitimately installed for a specifically good purpose, but could have been unknowing installed for a malicious purpose.

Not all antivirus programs scan for PUPs and avast has it turned off by default (an exception being the boot-time scan). So if you get this you have been tweaking the avast settings without knowing what the impact might be.

This file in this location is a legit file if you have an HP system as this is the HP recovery area ?
The file has nothing to do with system restore though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CupcakeCharmer

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
Well, I seem to have something malicious as my computer is running at a high CPU, and causing most of my programs to "End". I attempted several system restores and all have failed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
System Restore isn't 100% personally I feel that it can be more of a hindrance than a help and why I use hard drive imaging software as a replacement.

I asked a number of questions, none of which got a response. We ask questions to gather information so we can try and help. Another to add to the list - Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

####
Any suspect virus queries should be conducted in the viruses and worms forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security