Author Topic: Web Shield causing error with Google Chrome  (Read 3681 times)

ageorgia17

Web Shield causing error with Google Chrome
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
For about a week now, I've been getting an error message (Error message 101: connection was reset) when using Google Chrome, and I had similar problems with IE and Firefox.  The problem got so bad that I could hardly use the internet at all because I could only get one or two pages to load every five minutes. 

I researched the problem on another computer (since my laptop is the only one affected) and tried dozens of "fixes" that didn't help at all, and eventually I figured out that Avast's Web Shield is what is causing the problem.  When I turn it off, I can load pages again without seeing the error message. However, the internet seems much slower when the shield is off, and I don't want to jeopardize my computer's security by leaving it off.  Is there anything I can do, settings I can adjust in Avast, that will have the same affect but will allow me to keep the shield turned on?

Thanks in advance!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Web Shield causing error with Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
welcome to the forum. what version of avast you using? what version of chrome? what os you using?

i use avast free with chrome i don't have any problems with surfing the web here.

meaby a clean installation of avast might solve your problem.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Web Shield causing error with Google Chrome
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
Try a repair...Control Panel>Programs and Features(XP, Vista)/Uninstall(Win7)>double click "avast">scroll down to and click "repair">reboot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.