Author Topic: Virus found and no option to move to chest  (Read 5117 times)

deb152

Virus found and no option to move to chest
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »
I submitted a ticket to Avast July 27th and they have not responded.  I do not have technical skills so bear with me.  I attempted to capture the screen of what is shown but no luck.  I am having difficulties with my computer booting up and shutting down so this may be contributing.

when I checked my log after running a thorough scan on July 27th it shows a virus detected but gives not option to even choose move to chest. This is what it says:
Process 2936{explorer.exe}memory block 0x000000000A640000 block size 732774
Threat Win32: VBCrypt-AFM{Trj}

Again there is no option to move it to chest or delete it.  None of the controls work to move it.

How do I get this virus removed from my system?

Thank you,
Debra Littrell

blue_fyre

Re: Virus found and no option to move to chest
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
 Malware resides in memory. Or if you have any other security software, avast is detecting their signature but I don't think anything loads in explorer. If avast is not detecting anything on hard drive, then you might consider scanning with additional software such as Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro. Don't forget avast boot time scan.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Again there is no option to move it to chest or delete it.  None of the controls work to move it
of course....it is a process and not a file....you cant move a process to chest

anyway...the solution is DO NOT use the scan memory settings as this vil give some veird results
you find hundreds of cases here if you search the forum

i recomend you use the default quick /full scan with default scan settings
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:17:00 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »
It isn't a process either, it is a memory block, the process part in the alert is the process responsible for loading the data into that memory block.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

deb152

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
It lists it as a Trojan Horse.  Are you saying there is nothing to do?  Is this showing up incorrectly?  I am unsure what all of the postings mean since I am not versed in the details of how computers work.  Is there a problem and I need to take it into be fixed?

Anyone know why Avast is not responding to tickets?

Thanks,
debra

blue_fyre

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »
 If it is actually malware, then something will have loaded it, which comes from the hdd or something like a flash drive you connected to the computer. It won't hurt to scan the memory, in your case it might have helped you, so I strongly suggest keep that option on. If avast does not find an infected file on the hdd and what resides in meory was not a false positive, then consider using something else to scan.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
It won't hurt to scan the memory, in your case it might have helped you, so I strongly suggest keep that option on.
Sorry but this is not advised, the scan memory option in avast custom scans ( if that is what scan was being run ) is more trouble than it's worth and slightly obsolete as it will usually detect definitions from other security software installed on the system, plus if a virus is found in memory then it is already to late.

If you fear that you maybe infected then i suggest for you to read hear http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 and when finished running the tools asked attach the logs back here for a malware expert to look over.

deb152

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
Thank you I will check it out!