Author Topic: Deleted application in firewall by mistake  (Read 1691 times)

Yrademord

Deleted application in firewall by mistake
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
Outbound mail is failing and so I thought it could be a port problem but that was not the case - however, in checking the firewall page I went and deleted Thunderbird from the application rules list by mistake (duh!).  I assumed that, on rebooting, avast! would pick it up again and add it to the rules list. It has not done so. Is this a problem? I have no idea how to add a program to the firewall list and there is nothing mentioned in the avast! manual on how to do this. Suggestions please.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Deleted application in firewall by mistake
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
You should be able to manually add an application to your firewall, which you don't mention, nor do you say what OS you are using ?

But even with it deleted I would have though it would be recreated if you start Thunderbird, though the fact that it would be redirected through the mail shield proxy (which may be the problem), your firewall (?) may not even know thunderbird is involved. But I'm guessing that you may be using avast! Internet Security, since it is the only avast product with a firewall, as you talk about "I assumed that, on rebooting, avast! would pick it up again and add it to the rules list."

Try stopping the Mail Shield for 10 minutes, then start Thunderbird and send yourself a test email, that should have your firewall ask permission.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security