Author Topic: XP sp3 lockup after updating.  (Read 2405 times)

PALionking

XP sp3 lockup after updating.
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
Just renewed the antivirus pro version we have because the subscription was running out on a system that was running XP Pro with SP3 on it. Now after installing it while avoiding installing Google chrome we can no longer boot this computer. It is on a network domain & it gets to the screen where you need to hit CTRL ALT DEL to get to the login screen. Once there it will not go any further. I tried this in both safe mode & normal mode. I also checked the use last known good configuration & it doesn't work that way either. Is Avast no longer supporting XP?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: XP sp3 lockup after updating.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. avast have support for xp so thats no problem. it's sounds like there could have been something in the update that when wrong there. i suggest a clean installation of avast might do the trick.

download the uninstall tool for avast and run it and then reboot your system. from there install a fresh copy of avast. and see if that could help.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility the uninstall tool for avast

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ link to fresh copy of avast (free version) if you want pro or suite you can get it from avast.com)

good luck
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

PALionking

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
The problem that I am having is I cannot get past the CTRL ALT DEL screen to get to the login screen to start the computer. It was working fine until doing the update.

Arizona

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
Reboot go to safe mode f8 as it starts go to adremove and remove avast.

PALionking

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
I tried booting in safe mode & it does the same thing. Tried a different keyboard & same in either normal or safe mode. Also tried the boot to last known good configuration & still getting the same results.