Author Topic: Annoying ''your registration will expire...'' popup  (Read 20407 times)

pavlode

Annoying ''your registration will expire...'' popup
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
Can you please do something about this annoying, every-day repeating pop-up message (your registration will expire in ... days. register now! etc.)
I am user of Free Avast for ten (10) years, on all my computers and I think this is very good antivirus. I have installed it also on many friend's and relative's machines. My current version is 7.0.1451
Until this message, I always somehow managed to obtain real silent-mode (this is what good antivirus is supposed to do: to be quiet and do its job :-).
But now... Every day it appears and will continue the whole month, I suppose :(
I will register, of course,  but AFTER EXPIRATION of my current registration.
There is no need to remind us about this at every boot, the whole month before expiration. Once a week is quite enough :-)
So, how to get rid of this pop-up?
Thanks in advance for your answer..

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Annoying ''your registration will expire...'' popup
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
hmmm...... register.   ;D

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
hmmm...... register.   ;D
Yes, I wish I had said that, Pondus. ;)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

pavlode

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:44:24 AM »
So, it's expected from users to register one month earlier every time...
Next will be twice a year? Avast managers can't find  better way to boost registering statistics?
Soon I expect ads pop-ups or some 'limited functionality' for free version, and so on.
Same old story...
It's time to try some other antivirus, I see.
Anyway, thanx for answers!

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »
I agree, it is a nuisance.

I gave up with five days ago and renewed AIS..

Sometimes under the new CEO, avast! is too aggressive.

Vince, take it easy on us.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
So, it's expected from users to register one month earlier every time...
Next will be twice a year? Avast managers can't find  better way to boost registering statistics?
Soon I expect ads pop-ups or some 'limited functionality' for free version, and so on.
Same old story...
It's time to try some other antivirus, I see.
Anyway, thanx for answers!

If you are using FREE, what's the difference? Renew and the message is gone.

Davy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »
Yeah, it' is very annoying.  I'm certainly no intentions of paying 1 month in advance... I may not even pay them at all if they don't get their act together and sort their software out...  Avast isn't the only anti-virus on the market!

Mind you it's not as though you are going to lose out except on the interest side, the more people that pays in advance the more interest they will in that month. Your loss in interest is negligible compared to what they gain in interest should there be a large number paying that month.... that's how I see it!

But my point is 'I know' when my license expires and I don't want to be reminded every time I boot up..... if they didn't pester me like that they would quite possibly have got it sooner - but they do need to sort themselves out 'first' or no payment at all if they don't sort that double sounding message out.

Dave

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:14 AM »
FYI I just noticed that when a 1 year license is renewed on the free version its only a 90 day license. I have seen this on 3 PC's so far.  I have used Avast AV for years and recommended their products to friends but have a hard time doing so with all the BS. The random upgrade sales pitch popups we bad enough. Now once you hit 30 days to the expire date you get hounded every day and if you re register the free version its only good for 90 days. Removing and installing the program makes no difference. I did not try the removal tool. Its not worth the time trying. My AIS license will be expiring in 36 days and with this BS I may go elsewhere on my own PC's.

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

ManyQs

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
I tried the site's search tool to see if this information has a thread of its own and I came up zero.  Well, this thread came up.

I am a little surprised about that statement above about a renewal of a 1-year license only providing a 90-day license, and I'd like to know if this can be confirmed by a second person, please.

Thank you.

Diddy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
HI when I renewed my avast free registration on 16/6/2012 and I will not have to renewal avast free until 16/6/2013.

I do not understand that the free registration is only good for 90 days especially if it is the avast free version.

Thanks have a great day

ManyQs

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:12:42 AM »
I appreciate your response Diddy, and I don't want wonderwrench to think I'm trying to cast doubt on his veracity, but I was really hoping for confirmation from an Avast rep on this one way or the other.  It must be obvious that if this is actually true it is a pretty big deal.  If it's just some kind of a glitch I suppose there would have been more coming forward, but it seems a matter that Avast would like to clear up pronto, but pronto hasn't happened and that makes me a tad nervous.  In fact, more so than when I read the post for the first time.  Sure, everyone is really busy, but ...

SlyCooperFan1

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
I am a little surprised about that statement above about a renewal of a 1-year license only providing a 90-day license, and I'd like to know if this can be confirmed by a second person, please.
A family member of mine had his free license ending last week, so I renewed it for him. It was for 1-year for him too; I have no idea where this 90-day glitch came from, and I have not encountered it anywhere.

As for the "Your registration will expire in..." popups, this should be a user-enabled setting where we can have a popup one month before, two weeks before, one week before, the day of, or a combination of the aforementioned. Or, a setting for no popups concerning the matter at all.

NomDeKeyz

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
I agree with SlyCooperFan 1. Can we/Do we have a TOGGLE OPTION for renewal notifications?

I recently dealt with the renewal pop-ups (paid version AIS), and I HATED it! Especially since the renewed license is good from the day purchased, not the day activated... so you're left with that annoying pop-up regardless?! (Please correct me if I am wrong/if there is a way around this.)

I too would really appreciate the option to toggle renewal notifications... Like ONCE one month in advance, ONCE one fortnight in advance, ONCE one week in advance, and perhaps every update for the last two days before expiration. That would be adequate for me, anyhow.

If I knew anyone using avast! free, I'd ask them how long till their expiration; the only free AVs my acquaintances use is avg/mse, otherwise we have paid for AIS.

I have been a BIG fan of avast! for a long time, and I truly hope that company changes will keep in mind that we are not just (potentially paying) consumers, but people - People who don't appreciate Pavlovian gimmicks, and are possibly more pliable when not 'hounded' (pun intended).

I post this here, knowing that it might not get back to the developers... but if it does, let my voice be added to this song; and if it doesn't, I'll post again on this topic the next time it directly affects me, several months in the future...

~Nom

P.S. I would also appreciate the pop-up being "avast!-orange" rather than ALARM-RED, so that when I see it out of the corner of my eye, I know it is an urgent 'friendly reminder', as opposed to an alert of something amiss, as the RED suggests. It's momentarily unnerving.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:54:33 AM by NomDeKeyz »

esp

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
I think that the difference between the 90 days and the 1 year registration period comes from whether you use the "in-application" 'register me now' button (which registers you anonymously) or use the Web form to register to get the registration e-mail.

The first method is completely anonymous and they give you only 90 days. In the second method, you have to give Avast! a bunch of personal information (name, e-mail address, etc - stuff that is quite valuable to the company.) I think that, in return for this extra information, they give you the full 1-year registration duration.

Alas, I sort of used both. I have dial-up only so, since the Web page was taking a while to load and since I was impatient, I hit the "register" button in the UI. By the time I got the Web form filled and received my registration e-mail, the button-click registration method had already (anonymously) registered my installation and there was no longer a place in the UI's registration screen to copy&paste the registration code from the e-mail. I guess that I now have to wait another 60 days (well, 55 days now) before I can enter the code I received.

I would be really handy, avast! developers, if doing the 90-days registration thing didn't remove the ability to enter the 1-year registration code.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
All that is needed to register Free is a valid email.
The easiest and most simple way to get rid of the pop-up is to re-register.
It ain't that difficult. In the time it took you to type and post your issue/complaint
you could have been over and done with it.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.