Author Topic: Is Teamviewer a Threat?  (Read 10163 times)

Devizes

Is Teamviewer a Threat?
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
Hi. I've had a warning message come up about Teamviewer. Its not a program I'd heard of but I believe its for controlling a computer by remote access. As far as I know I don't have this program on my computer. Is this something I should be worried about? Can Teamviewer be used maliciously? Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Is Teamviewer a Threat?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Yes, (a possibly undetected) malware can bundle/use TeamViewer to control your computer.
If you are the only one who uses the computer and it just appeared there, it's certainly pretty suspicious.
What's the location of the file?

Devizes

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
I'm not sure. Is there anywhere I can see any alerts that have come up?

naren17

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
If you haven't restarted the system yet after receiving the alert then I guess you can rightclick the tray icon of Avast & click show the last popup?

This will only help if there were no further popups after the virus detection alert like autoupdates, etc.

There may be log which can help but I dont know.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
I'm not sure. Is there anywhere I can see any alerts that have come up?
What shield caught it ? If Filesystem shield then go to Avast! UI -> Resident shields tab and click Shield's log

By the way I don't recommend to having Team Viewer on any system. If any1 wants to use TeamViewer I'd recommend to use single-use run which you can activate in installer.

Try checking If you have TeamViewer by going to Control Panels > Add/Remove programs > TeamViewer. If so uninstall it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:36:31 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Devizes

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
Thanks, I found the alert. It says:

Avast! Autosandbox has blocked a threat
C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\Temp\teamviewer.exe

Action: Moved to chest

The threat was detected and blocked just before the file was executed

true indian

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
that seems like a autosandbox alert for the file...probably avast has determined team viewer.exe behaviour as malicious...

can u upload the detected file to www.virustotal.com please

and post the link to results on next reply.

Devizes

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
I'm not sure how to do that.

true indian

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
I'm not sure how to do that.

avast ui>>chest>>extract the teamviewer file to desktop by right clicking on it>>got to virutotal.com>>select the file on desktop>>>upload it>>post link ti result on next reply.

true indian

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
It is malicious file as in accordance to the behaviour analysis at VT...avast autosandbox feature has protected u....delete the file on desktop...

open avast chest>>right click on the teamviewer file in chest>>click send to lab>>update virus definations manually to send it>>re-scan it when next update arrives>>and send it again if not detected on next update..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:14:46 PM by true indian »