Author Topic: Google Chrome and Script Shield  (Read 6821 times)

hake

Google Chrome and Script Shield
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
Would I be barking up the wrong tree if I suggested that Google's changes to the Chrome API which occur at almost every major new revision (now at 20) make it very hard for firms like Avast! and Trusteer (Rapport) to maintain compatibility?

I have a notion that Google seems to be less than helpful in supplying technical details about upcoming changes to Chrome to such as Avast! and Trusteer who are simply trying to protect Chrome users.

I have given up using Chrome for online banking because Trusteer has to catch up which means that Rapport often does not work for a few days after a new release of Chrome.  Internet Explorer always works with Trusteer Rapport and Avast! Script Shield.

hake

Re: Google Chrome and Script Shield
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
Installed Avast 7.0.1451.  Script Shield still does not work with Google Chrome.  It used to.  Chrome is the one which has changed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:51:06 PM by hake »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
Installed Avast 4.0.1451.  Script Shield still does not work with Google Chrome.  It used to.  Chrome is the one which has changed.

i think you meant 7 there not 4 i presume  ;)
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

hake

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
Thank you and well spotted mikaelrask.  I have edited the post.

I seem to remember that Script Shield and Google Chrome last worked with Avast 6 and Chrome v13 or thereabouts.  Chrome changes almost weekly.  It must be very difficult for the likes of Avast and Trusteer to keep up with the mercurial Chrome team.

Xordo

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »
This is not an acceptable excuse.
Yes Chrome updates frequently.

But...

Whatever version of Chrome that rolls out to the public is a version which has been available for 3 months prior in the Beta and Dev Chrome version.

If Avast worked on Chrome Script Shield from the Chrome Dev channel they would have three months to tweak it so that Script Shield always works in the Chrome stable public version.
That's what Trustee does.

Avast is surely smart enough to know this.
Thus  I have to surmise from the lack of functionality and silence from Avast staff on the matter = Avast has made the intentional decision to not offer Chrome script protection.

This should be noted on their website so that customers know what features they are and are not getting with Avast.

true indian

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
Installed Avast 7.0.1451.  Script Shield still does not work with Google Chrome.  It used to.  Chrome is the one which has changed.

Confirmed..!!

hake

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  That all makes sense.

It is a rather surprising omission to withhold Script Shield protection from the second most popular web browser.  It is effectively a gentle nudge towards AVG with Surf Shield.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:16:05 PM by hake »

Offline yarin

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
I got confused, if avast! decide to not offer script shield for Chrome, why they still provide this option in "expert settings"?

This is not an acceptable excuse.
Yes Chrome updates frequently.

But...

Whatever version of Chrome that rolls out to the public is a version which has been available for 3 months prior in the Beta and Dev Chrome version.

If Avast worked on Chrome Script Shield from the Chrome Dev channel they would have three months to tweak it so that Script Shield always works in the Chrome stable public version.
That's what Trustee does.

Avast is surely smart enough to know this.
Thus  I have to surmise from the lack of functionality and silence from Avast staff on the matter = Avast has made the intentional decision to not offer Chrome script protection.

This should be noted on their website so that customers know what features they are and are not getting with Avast.

MDRockstar

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
 Script shield for chrome is still not working so... what is the problem? It's been a while that it is not working. By the way is it really neccessary?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  That all makes sense.

It is a rather surprising omission to withhold Script Shield protection from the second most popular web browser.  It is effectively a gentle nudge towards AVG with Surf Shield.
this is not a patch on webshield... All it is is a glorified WOT, the big question is do the Google people make the code available to other security firms, or are they expected to decompile it figure out whats changed then change their programme to suit Google..  I would rather have the Avast people working on virus detection than trying to play catch up with chrome