Author Topic: .deb file use reports invalid file format  (Read 7794 times)

MEber

.deb file use reports invalid file format
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:53:24 AM »
When I try installing Avast on Ubuntu 12.04 LST I get an error message from the Application Loader stating that the file is of bad quality.

The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
Details: The package doesn't provide a valid Installed-Size control field. See Debian Policy 5.6.20.

Even if I tell the installer to ignore it, Avast will not install.

MAG

Re: .deb file use reports invalid file format
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
I can confirm the first part of this - I didn't go on to try installing after the warning.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
Well... All times I've answered yes I could install avast! on Linux (Ubuntu) and got no problems.
I really do not know what is called "bad quality" in this environment...
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
When I try installing Avast on Ubuntu 12.04 LST I get an error message from the Application Loader stating that the file is of bad quality.

The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
Details: The package doesn't provide a valid Installed-Size control field. See Debian Policy 5.6.20.

Even if I tell the installer to ignore it, Avast will not install.

I got the same message and since I previously had major problems with avast! on Ubuntu, about three ago, I just stopped the installation.  With my limited experience with Ubuntu and limited knowledge of Linux/Unix I have found it is best to just install the software in the Ubuntu Repository   I have never had a problem with those programs installing or running.   When it comes to installing .deb files not supported in their Repository I just pass.

Ubuntu has come a long way in the last several years especially with respect to the programs available for the non-Unix geek.    I don't use my Ubuntu computer very much so Clamtk works for me.   I tried installing the AVG .deb file which is not in the Repository and had problems running the program from the Terminal so I uninstalled it.

avast! for Linux may work just fine on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but unless someone is a Unix geek I suggest they avoid it as long as it is not in the Repository.

MAG

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Agree.

I have a hunch that one of the reasons linux desktop users aren't more heavily targeted by malware coders (aside from the different architecture), is that so many of them simply refuse to install anything from outside the repositories that it just isn't worth the trouble, and I say let's keep it that way.

Anyway, why would you need to? The only thing I have installed on this machine that didn't come with the Ubuntu CD is Clamtk, from the repositories. Everything else I need is there already.

Seems a shame for companies like avast who are trying to provide a service I know - perhaps reputable security tools are a reasonable exception.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:44:26 AM by mag »