Author Topic: Please Help!!! Incoming Mail Stamped "Clean" but do not receive text of message  (Read 20017 times)

budds78

Can someone please answer my post.  I am completely lost.

There are times when I receive an e-mail and attachment from someone that I am expecting and the following occurs:

I receive the e-mail and can open the attachment with no problems but i do not receive the text of the message so I do not know what the person is writing to me.  I only get the following stamp indicating the message was clean and nothing else:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 0502-0, 01/10/2005
Tested on: 1/10/2005 3:02:18 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

And there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it b/c sometimes I can get e-mails with attachments from someone and the next day I cannot.

Anyone know what exactly is happening?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
This happened before... it will take a little to browse and search the board anyway.
Which is your operational system, firewall, email program...?

Welcome aboard  8)
The best things in life are free.

budds78

Windows XP
Microsoft Outlook
Behind a corporate firewall.

Thanks for the welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Microsoft Outlook

About the clean notes into the message body, can you try 'Settings' on my signature?
UseAlternateRtfSyncing value under [MailScanner] section:

Another mechanism for inserting notes into the body of emails in Microsoft Outlook. RtfSyncing is concerned with Rich Text Format. In emails, the user typically save both Rich text (HTML) and plain form of message. When you modify one type of message, RTFSync is the right function to synchronize text of message to the second form. Disable = 0.

budds78

I am sorry you totally lost me.  I am a complete boob with these things.

I am writing as an end-user b/c my boss downloaded avast to scan our e-mails and I don't want to ask him for help unless I absolutely have to.

Is it a setting in my Microsoft Outlook prohibiting me from getting the text of my messages and just leaving me with the "stamp"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Budds, we can guide you...
See, did you click on 'Settings' in my signature?
There is the location of avast4.ini file (generally C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini).
Open it in your computer with Notepad. Or double click it...
Browse for the section [MailScanner] into brackets.
Add the following line:
UseAlternateRtfSyncing=1

Boot.
Does it work?

budds78

I am sorry.  I might have wrote this on the wrong forum.

My boss had us change our pop3 & smtp servers b/c I think he downloaded what apprently may be the professional or corporate version of avast.

There is no such directory on my machine b/c I think he manages it from a server here.

I've tried to talk to him about it but he just dismisses me.  I really need to see the text of these messages though and I never had the problem before he used avast to stop SPAM at our company.

Is there anything I could change in my Microsoft Outlook settings on my end that would make a difference?

Sorry for the confusion I'm just a noob.

budds78

Also, I notcie for the most part the e-mails that have attachments where I do receive the text also include attachments labeled either avast info or virus info in the form of a text file and an html file.  When I dont get the text, I dont get these attachments.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
budds78
Can you make a screen shoot of one of the e-mail so we can see what your talking about?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

neal62

budds78,

I don't know if Microsoft Outlook e-mail has this option that Outlook Express has?? If it does and works like the option in Outlook Express that may be the problem. I don't have or use Microsoft Outlook. But, in Outlook Express if you go to Tools>Options>Security> you will see a option that states: "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". This when ticked will not usually allow attachments in that program to be opened. You may want to check this possibility out. :)

budds78

I would like tot hank everyone for their help.  My problem is still not resolved but if anyone is willing, I'd like to continue the process of solving it.

budds78

I have a few screenshots saved to my desktop, in microsoft word format, that illustrate the problem I am talking about.  Only thing is I don't know how to post it here.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
When you type a post here there is underneath the box something called "Additional Options".
Click on it and you can attach a picture your post.

budds78

This is an example of when I receive an e-mail with an attachment.  I can open the attachment without incident.  The problem is I do not receive the text of the message.  The only thing I receive is the avast "Inbound Message Clean" stamp.

budds78

This is an example of an e-mail where not only can I open the attachment.  But I can also read the text of the message.  You will also notice that I am also receiving twoe xtra attachments labeled avast info.html & avast info.txt