Author Topic: Spyware undetected by avast?  (Read 10192 times)

Haxthausen

Spyware undetected by avast?
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:51:37 PM »
Hello,

I just joined the forum as I'm a bit desperate. I downloaded the avast home edition and detected (and deleted) several viruses. So far, so good. But still I have a spysoftware (I assume) on my computer that delets my startpage and tries to link me to a page like onemoresearch.net or searchxp.com. Furthermore it puts links behind certain words on all webpages that are difficult to detect as fake. Besides all this I constantly get pop-ups especially from i-friends. And all this is not detected by avast! Why is this so and what can I do?

Thanx

Nikolas

mikel108

Re: Spyware undetected by avast?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:54:06 PM »
Avast is an Antivirus, and from the sounds of things it found the viruses.

You need Ad-Aware SE or Spybot Search and Destroy toget rid of your spyware.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:05:47 AM »
Get these and run them.

1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Download HijackThis.zip

HiJackThis - Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section.
and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Haxthausen

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:58:44 AM »
Thank you both for your help. I loaded down Spybot which detected everything and fixed also almost all of them. The only problem I still have with DSO. This can't be fixed by Spybot. I even changed now the according value in the registry for "1004" to "3". So I got rid of one but it is still not enough. Download of dsostop2.exe didn't really help either. Either I have to wait for the next update of Spybot or look for another solution.

Cheers

Nikolas

Staind

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:16:24 AM »
Hi, what was the exact location of the DSO exploit? I believe right now Spybot has a false positive - since I have the exact same DSO exploit continually bothering me.

conazus

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:45:07 AM »
Spybot Search and Destroy DSO Exploit Fix 1.3.1.TX   

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

edit: 

You must have version 1.3 Final installed in order for this fix to work

The DSO Exploit is a security gap in IE. Microsoft did already repair this, so if you have all Windows updates and patches installed, it will not be dangerous for your system. Spybot S&D will still find it, because it contains an invalid value. Spybot S&D just has to reset that value. Unfortunately, in the current version, it sets again an incorrect value, so it is found in the next scan. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:48:40 AM by connie »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:46:23 AM »
Yes, I think it's a false alarm - it was said on their web or did I read it on this forum ? Try google. Hijackthis (recommended by DavidR) is good tool - but not for newbies.

Haxthausen

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 03:01:27 AM »
Hi,

the exact path is HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3.

Instead of DEFAULT it is also S-1-5-18 or S-1-5-19 or S-1-5-20. I loaded down all the recommended programs + dsostop2.exe and deleted one registry manually which still leaves four registries I can't get rid off!

That really sucks  >:(

If anybody has an idea I am open to (almost) anything!

conazus

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:03:30 AM »
Haxthausan...     read up to the message I posted a few minutes ago.    Go to that link and download the file and run it.   It WILL fix the DSO problem with Spybot  :)

techie101

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 06:16:10 AM »
Connie,

Thanks a lot.  I finally got rid of the annoying false postive I've had on Spybot.
Never really looked into it before.  Shame on me.   :-\
Gald I was doing  a bit of browsing tonight.

:D

conazus

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:45:07 AM »
You are very welcome Techie  :) 

Every once in awhile I take the time to be helpful here instead of just silly    ;D :P

Offline phil2

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 06:47:25 AM »
Connie

Like Techie  thank you ...annoyance now fixed  :)
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 08:09:34 AM »
Actually avast! does detect many spyware too.
Mostly it's detected as Win32:Trojan-gen or it has tag [Adw] in the end of the name.
Some are also detected as Trojano-xxx (x are numbers).
But as other said,avast! is manly an antivirus so spyware detection isn't it's primary job.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

GYL

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 08:38:20 AM »
Thank you very much Connie,I had same problem with DSO.
You're wonderfull!!!

Ronny

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 03:55:14 AM »
Hello together, I've read this here and like to tell you:
If you use the Ad-Watch Monitore from Lavasofts Ad-Aware (the online scanner from Ad-Aware) and you do a scan with Spybot:
Do not forget to turn off the Ad-Watch Program BEFORE you click the "Fix Problems" Button in Spybot. Or you have to turn off the Automatic-Option from Ad-Watch or the following will happen:

If you let Ad-Watch run (and Spybot has found spys on your computer) Ad-Watch will block any change that Spybot will do at the Windows Registry to remove the spys.
Spybot can NOT remove any Spyware if the Ad-Watch Module is still running and/or active.

Spybot will give out the message that it has removed the spys, but it did not, they are still there, because Ad-Watch has blocked the changes from Spybot.

You can also shut down this Automatic-Option in Ad-Watch, then a message from Ad Watch will pop up on the screen and the program will ask you for agreement with the action Spybot want to do in the registry or not.

In the opposite, Spybot does not block any action Ad-Aware will do in the registry, if Ad-Aware has found any Spys.

Greetings,
Ronny