Author Topic: Spyware undetected by avast?  (Read 10222 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Spyware undetected by avast?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 04:08:14 AM »
Yes, problems with DSO and SpyBot are old ones... Sorry if I did not post before...
If you schedule a boot time scanning of SpyBot you can get rid of that registry keys  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 04:11:04 AM »
Ronny, welcome...
You're right, the residents of SpyBot (TeaTimer) and Ad-Aware (Ad-Watch) can make a lot of mess togheter.
I really recommend that you disable them when uninstalling software...
It would save a lot of time from me as they were preventing the legitims registry key to be added while uninstalling.

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 04:26:28 AM »
Hi Technical!

EXACTLY!
If you let them run (the residents) from both (Spybot and Ad-Aware) you are unable to do any installation or deinstallation, i forgot this to write, that's true.

You have to shut them down at any time BEFORE you do any installation or deinstallation or you get messed up.

By the way, i have  a problem by myself with Avast, maybe you can help me:

I like to use Avast because i think it's a great Utility but if I do so, I have the following problem:

Sometimes I share some MP3's with friends and if my Email Attachments are more than 5 Megs I get a "Time Out" Error-Message from my mailserver, because Avast takes too long to scan the attachments.

I tryed to turn off the scanning from my outgoing  Emails:
Nothing, Avast is still scanning, also after i turned off the outgoing scan....

I turned down the email scan option on the very lowest modus...nothing, Avast took the same time for the scan and again: Time Out error....

Is it possible to deactivate the Attachment scan option only for outgoing emails?
I could not figure out how i can do this.

Avast is still scanning, no matter i turned someting off or not.

Avast works without any problems, but only if my Mailattachments are not over 5 Megs.

My System:
Windows ME

Hardware:
128 MB RAM
40 Gigs Harddrive

Maybe someone of you can tell me what i can do more...

Greetings,
Ronny

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:28:45 AM by Ronny »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 04:37:03 AM »
You have to shut them down at any time BEFORE you do any installation or deinstallation or you get messed up.

I did not write install on purpose.
If you do not know the origin (and if the setup file is clean or not) you should not shut down them  :-[
I think this works only for uninstall followed by a boot.

Nothing, Avast is still scanning, also after i turned off the outgoing scan...

Can you click on 'Settings' in my signature?
Follow the section [MailScanner] and add the values:

PassThrough=1
StartSmtp=0

Maybe you have to boot...

Ronny

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 05:37:33 AM »
Thanks for your help, i'll try it!

To Spybot/Ad-Aware:

What i mean is, if the backgroundscanners are still working, they prevent any changes in the registry from any other programs during their installation.
If you want to install a new program, you have to shut them down first or their installation will fail, if you want or not, you have no other choice, I do not know any other option.

neal62

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 08:23:03 AM »
Thanks for that link connie. I also had the same problem with FP readings (DSO) with Spy Bot S&D. Now when it scans it says congrats, nothing detected or words similiar to that. ;D

Ronny

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 04:45:08 PM »
@ Technical:

I did what you told me and added the entries:
PassThrough=1
StartSmtp=0

into the mail section from the Avast INI file, the following happend (perhaps it's intresting to you)

With the entry
StartSmtp=0
i got a connection error message from my mailserver, i could not send any mails, but receiving was still working. I can't use this setting.

So i tryed only the
PassThrough=1
setting...and: no connection error anymore but still the time out error.

But:
With the PassThrough=1 setting the timeout error from the mailserver appears only ONE time (not every one minute like before).
After this one timeout error my mail has been send (it was more then 8 Megs) and the timeout error did not come again in the same email.

OK, it's not like it should be, the error message is still popping up in every email if I have large emails but has no effect anymore, after this one-time-error-message the mail goes out.

So i like to thank you very much, i can use now Avast and I'm very happy about this because for me it's still the best virusscanner.

Maybe I can make a suggestion for the next Avast release:
An option in the program that shuts down the scanning from any outgoing email-attachment...one mouseclick it's on, one click it's off...like it's needed, that'll be great.

Thanks again and greetings,
Ronny

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 03:27:06 AM »
With the PassThrough=1 setting the timeout error from the mailserver appears only ONE time (not every one minute like before).
After this one timeout error my mail has been send (it was more then 8 Megs) and the timeout error did not come again in the same email.

Try to increase both timeouts (of avast into the Advanced tab of Internet Mail provider settings and of your email account, in Properties of the account, Advanced tab too). You can set both to 600, for instance. If you're on a DSL connection (not dial-up) it shouldn't be necessary a so long timeout anyway...

Do you use any spam killer? Sometimes the spam killer enters in a 'loop' and consume all the timeout. Shutdown it and start it again.

In earlier avast versions mail were routed through the localhost (127.0.0.1) and this would pass through very quickly and/or possibly form a buffer that masked any timeout settings.

An option in the program that shuts down the scanning from any outgoing email-attachment...one mouseclick it's on, one click it's off...like it's needed, that'll be great.

If this does not help, can you uncheck the Outbound mail scanning?  ;)