Author Topic: Damn it Avast. (Steam Blockage)  (Read 26453 times)

AngryUser

Damn it Avast. (Steam Blockage)
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
Avast said Steam's malware.
I call bullsh*t.
It blocked every game i tried to launch. It didn't let me launch the client again, deleting steam.dll.
Fix. Please.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Damn it Avast. (Steam Blockage)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
do you have latest avast update ?

do you have the file in chest ?....if so right click and upload to avast lab as False Positive..
it will then be uploaded at next update.....or at once if you do a manual update

Pettson

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
Getting the same issue, sent the file for false positive report. This is quite a major blunder however, seeing how real darn common the Steam client is.

Broken Hope

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Same issue here, this is the 2nd time in as many weeks where Avast has called a Steam file a virus, they need to stop messing up or they will lose customers.

I'm a paying customer and they need to be testing their updates better, surely a program as widely used as Steam should be on their test systems?

These are the files being detected falsely

strazyplus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
I have the same problem how do I undo what avast did? I had it on auto. I think it freaking deleted it!

yep Steam client.dll is deleted...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:13:35 PM by strazyplus »

Pettson

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
It's not really tough - add an exclusion for the file ([STEAM Path]\steamclient.dll) manually in avast!, restart Steam and it should fix the issue by itself, as it detects if any files are missing. Or restore the file from the avast! chest. (Possible unless you've changed the preferences for actions taken on detected threats.)

EDIT: Not enough, unfortunately - it's detecting more false positives. [STEAM Path]\tier0_s.dll, namely. Great stuff.
A possible solution is to exclude the entire Steam directory in avast!, but this could be a risk, should some malicious file get into one of the game directories.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:21:07 PM by Pettson »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
I have the same problem how do I undo what avast did? I had it on auto. I think it freaking deleted it!

yep Steam client.dll is deleted...
default should be move to chest.....

Isengrim

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
Also deleted the "GameOverlay.exe" in my case. Turn the stupid thing off if You want to play anything before the fix comes out. First get the SteamService.dll resoted form chest.
For steam, after You turned Avast off, press "Windows sign"+R, type "cmd", and type "C:\*path_to_steam_folder*\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe /repair" and wait till it gives You a note "Steam Client Service repair complete".

If You do not know how to turn avast off, well. I did it the hard way by turning off self-defense then killing the process as well as truning off the service.

Have pleasant playing with little less protection. But I think only Firewall should make do for some time.

strazyplus

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
well it was not on default

i had it as

move to chest
 if fails delete...

farnsworth

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
ARGGGHH!!
my steam is f-ed up too, this is not funny anymore.

deletes steamclient.dll, tier0_s.dll as well as the previous versions out of the *steam/old folder

How does something like this happen? Millions of people use steam

FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!

Also, the captchas are a huge pain in the butt
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:37:40 PM by farnsworth »

songbird72884

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
Same problem here! Thank goodness I checked on here before manually deleting and reinstalling. I thought maybe something had gotten corrupted, didn't realise it was a false positive

farnsworth

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Well, for now you can just switch off the realtime scanner (if you dare to :D) and retrieve the lost files from the virus container before starting steam. worked for me.

Edit: Better yet, open the file shield tab, klick on the extended settings (or whatever its called in english, got the german version here) button on the right and set the files, or just the whole steam-folder as exceptions in the appropriate tab.
DO NOT use the exceptions tab in the settings section, it won't work that way.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:54:51 PM by farnsworth »

Broken Hope

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Looks like they fixed this with a cloud update, no longer detecting steamclient.dll as a virus.

tier0_s.dll still being detected though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:03:29 PM by Broken Hope »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
Yes there have been several stream updates this afternoon (4), I would suggest that you scan those files again and see if they are still detected.

If tier0_s.dll is still detected submit it to avast as a false positive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security