Author Topic: Is it possible to lock the hosts file with avast?  (Read 5622 times)

qwn23

Is it possible to lock the hosts file with avast?
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
I recently switched from Avira, and so far I'm really happy of my choice (thanks a lot, guys!) The only thing I'm missing from what I had before is being able to protect my hosts file from being edited or replaced by malware. I've tried searching through the settings, faq's, searching on this forum and all, but I haven't found anything on this. So does anyone know if this is possible on avast, or if at least there's a way to pick a file and prevent it from being edited or deleted?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is it possible to lock the hosts file with avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
As far as I'm aware there is no setting to lock the HOSTS file in avast, there are too many programs that legitimately use the HOSTS file, mainly hosts file managers, they would also probably have a lock mechanism.

You could also manually set its Properties to Read only.

WinPatrol has an option to Warn if changes are made to the HOSTS file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security