Author Topic: webrep acts as VIRUS!!!!!  (Read 7191 times)

lemonkid

webrep acts as VIRUS!!!!!
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
I installed Webrep and after I found out what it was for I deleted this obscure extension from my macbook pro running Mountian Lion. But for some reason Webrep keeps comming back! It won't give up!

I tried to delete it from within Safari, I tried to delete it from within Avast. Nothing seems to help. Each time the webrep thing comes back, sending information about my browser experience to Avast!

I find this a big pain in the bottom and now i deleted it by deleting everything that was inside the extensions folder in my library. I hope it stays away this time! It is a real bad behaviour for a piece of software that should protect me from third party intruders. This piece is an intruder itself!

lemonkid

Re: webrep acts as VIRUS!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
Well it did not help to delete the extensions folder Webrep comes back!!!!!!

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Hello,

At what time it comes back? It's upon system restart or Safari restart?

The WebRep plugins aren't designed to prevent uninstallation. The behaviour you are describing is certainly a bug. The WebRep for Safari is implemented so it can be uninstalled using avast! UI.

We are sorry for the troubles,
Jan

lemonkid

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
I just came back after I deleted it about twelve hours or so ago. I even deleted all the cache from the cache folder cause I thought maybe some info would have been kept there.

The return has no specific pattern. It does not specificalle return after i do a restart or wake up. It just suddenly comes back after I open Safari. My computer has been on for the night doing some back up task and now in the morning webrep is back!

And sometimes it even deletes all the other plugginns that I have. So than all other ones are gone except webrep.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:56:07 AM by lemonkid »

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »

That's really strange behavior. It would be very helpful if you provide us more info so we could analyze the problem.

(1) Run avast!.app and go to the WebRep page.
(2) It should say you that it is installed in your case for the particular browser. Is it true, or dies it misdetect it?
(3) Click the button "Uninstall" if it is there (if not try install and uninstall).
(4) Either installing or uninstalling the browser plug-in generates a log /tmp/avastinstusrscript-XXX.log,
where XXX is some number. Please provide us the two (!) latest log files. This should provide is enouth info
to see what;s wrong in your case and provide you some advice and fix it in next versions.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,
mity

lemonkid

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »
It says that it is uninstalled allright, and when I look in the extensions folder it is gone.... Only to suddenly appear again! Out of the blue! And sometimes all my other extensions are gone. But that does not happen always. I needed to install the others 3 or 4 times.

Where can I find the log files? So I can send them.

lemonkid

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
@ Mity

Can you please tell me where to find the log files? This webrep this is making me crazy! It keeps coming back!

lemonkid

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:48 AM »
Today it is back again. Now it came back immediately after a restart. However I cannot uninstall webrep from the Avast application, because the uninstall button is greyed out.

I can only uninstall from the preferences in Safari.

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
@ Mity

Can you please tell me where to find the log files? This webrep this is making me crazy! It keeps coming back!

The log is in /tmp. Unfortunately finder hides some system directories including this one. Press <shift>+<command>+G, type in "/tmp" (without the quotes) and you are there.

Regards,
Mity

lemonkid

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Right now I got rid of this evil webrep by deleting avast and do a new installation. After this procedure webrep did not show up (.......yet.....)!