Author Topic: AVAST 4 tested in Germany's most important Computer Magazine (c't)  (Read 23489 times)

electronikk

Re: AVAST 4 tested in Germany's most important Computer Magazine (c't)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 06:01:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to avast! but  I have to admit I'm surprised at how good this thing actually  looks and feels! ;D
Unfortunately a few things confuse me: In the c't 01/05 avast! failed the on-access ITW-test  although "all tested scan-engines were configured for maximum scanning depth". ["Die Scanner konfigurierten wir stets auf die maximale Suchtiefe."]
Another thing that irritates me is the fact that in the ICSA Labs AV Laboratory Testing Report for October and November 2004 (http://www.icsalabs.com/) avast! doesn't show up in the list of programs that passed the ITW-test. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)  :-\ (btw these are the latest tests i know (14.01.2005))

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to fuel any fire here. I just thought some of you might be intersted in this. I hope future tests will prove the true quality of avast! Nonetheless I will continue to use avast! and support it's effort's from time to time with the bitdefender free edition 7.2.  ;)

Keep it up everybody!!  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 06:10:34 PM by electronikk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 07:33:27 PM »
I hope future tests will prove the true quality of avast!

Ok... a very old-discussed topic: the effectiveness of the virus tests...
I won't start it again... You can browse the board.
Last time, Vlk gave me the reason that some tests are useless because the tester does not know how to configure and run a test that really compares the antivirus programs.
If I were you, I'll be self confident about your protection... Anyway, it's up to you: you must trust your security company  8)
The best things in life are free.

John-

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2005, 09:53:07 PM »
To Mantra; I do not know what the updates from NOD32 contain exactly. At work we have our server protected with NOD32, all PC's are running Panda Titanium 2004 and all macs are having Norton AV for mac.
I guess NOD32 only updates its virusdatabase,...but the program itself doesn't seem to evolve,...
the build dates from 2003 if I remember correctly,....

I don't know,... I discovered and started using Avast at the end of 2003 since my subscription to Norton Interet Security expired,...and I do not think I will switch to another AV,...

You know, many people will think Avast is a "silly program" because it uses skins,...  ::) and,..so what?  :D
I must admit,..I am not a skin fanatic myself,..but in the case with Avast I can live with that!  ;D

In my eyes Avast is a wonderfull product that is evolving every day with the suggestions and support of their customers.  And like Technical says in his reply: you have to thrust your security company,...
And if you have doubts about certain things,...ask them :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2005, 10:37:09 PM »
Well WinAMP was also just a silly audio player with skin support,but look it now!?
It's used worldwide by milions of users. Not to mention how many skins you can use.
avast! is indeed an antivirus,but who forces you to use skins anyway? Pro version has a normal interface which is very nice in v4.5 (main icons)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2005, 11:55:44 PM »
Silly? WinAMP was the first usable MP3 player every done, IMHO (in the times when most of the players weren't even able to seek the songs, took too much CPU, etc.).
Btw, anybody remembers any older program (than WinAMP) using skins? Or was it the first one?