Author Topic: Google Chrome Dev says AVAST injects code in every process arbitrary  (Read 2692 times)

ACTUAL

Comments? Their statement came as the latest BETA version of Chrome crashed with AVAST installed because of this injection.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Google Chrome Dev says AVAST injects code in every process arbitrary
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:07:41 AM »

Please provide a link.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:10:40 AM by Charyb »

ACTUAL

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
There you go. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=140982#c18 I wonder if this is why the latest release of AVAST ran into so much trouble.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:46 AM »
Such global injection to processes is usually related to the behavior analysis modules. Most that i know use such technique.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Driver8

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
So, it looks like Google has issued a new Chrome beta that fixes the issue.  At least, that is what one person mentions in the thread.  I think I saw that in another thread here as well.  If they do have a new version that can alleviate the crashing with the latest Avast! Internet Security, I will be very happy.  Even the latest AIS beta is crashing and becoming sluggish with Chrome for me.  Maybe I will find that Chrome beta and try it out.

Offline keloo05

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
I wrote about this in the beta section :

Chrome 21.0.1180.75 fixes the issue, but maybe Avast! has to find another way to inject code into Chrome's sandbox. Have a look at this thread, because some members from Chrome Team said that this bug was caused by Avast:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=140982

To explain what's going on, Avast injects code into every process on the system. Doing this arbitrarily is a very bad idea, as there's no way to know if the injected code will interfere with the normal operation of other processes. In the case of Chrome, the injected Avast code was failing to operate under the security restrictions imposed by the sandbox.

...we did install it on a VM yesterday and verify that the hangs were caused by Avast attempting (and failing) to inject code into Chrome's sandbox.