Author Topic: Malwarelympics-2012  (Read 6419 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Malwarelympics-2012
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
I think everyone would like to view the results.

Emsisoft elects winners of the 2012 Malwarelympics

Since July 27th, athletes from all over the world have been competing at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Away from any sporting events, Emsisoft's analysis team has posed a completely different question: which countries, categories and malware would be the different winners in the Malwarelympics?

Anti-malware companies such as Emsisoft deliver high performance throughout the entire year so that your computer enjoys the best protection possible. However, a large number of PCs are infected with virtual parasites on a daily basis because, unfortunately, IT security is often neglected. We have been evaluating a lot of data in order to find out who achieved gold, silver and bronze in the different malware disciplines.

As of today, we are proud to present the results: find out for yourself in which countries the most infections per PC have been found, which malware is the most widely spread, which botnet takes first place on the podium with around 30 million controlled PCs and much more!

The winners of the 2012 Malwarelympics:
Infographic: View the final results!
May the FOSS be with you!

Stewart

Re: Malwarelympics-2012
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »
None of those surprise me except I thought Conficker was bigger than Mariposa!  ;D

Thanks for the share

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »
hmmm....think i remeber me saying something about the winner not long ago  ;)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
I think everyone would like to view the results.
+1 ;D
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
hmmm....think i remeber me saying something about the winner not long ago  ;)
Oh, no! Not again, please! The silver medalist is not much behind the first-place winner but I can hardly wait for you to comment in his address.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:32:31 AM by George Yves »

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
I found an Email in my 'Junk' folder from Emisoft today. I felt; really I should unsubscribe from their newsletter. Bit lazy to just label it 'Junk'.  ;)  Anyway as I hit Unsubscibe I notice I'm being lead to; "Emsisoft elects winners of the 2012 Malwarelympics." I peeped at the 'chart'. That was the reason I was unsubscribing. I felt things had gone way too far to comprehend Emisoft judging anything, and the play on words using "The Olympics"...

So that's sorted my Inbox/Junk nicely for now. :)

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
Obvious answer then isn't there ...........

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
No, it isn't. It's not as obvious as you wish it to be. The obvious answer is that the most popular OS has to be the primary target for malware.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
No, it isn't. It's not as obvious as you wish it to be. The obvious answer is that the most popular OS has to be the primary target for malware.

Seems pretty clear to me , Windows is the malware magnet  ....... so stop using the malware magnet and you have no problem.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

Seems pretty clear to me , Windows is the malware magnet  ....... so stop using the malware magnet and you have no problem.

If all stopped using Windows and went to Mac, then there would be less reason to target Windows machines, thus malware will be made for Mac. There is no way to escape the circle.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
This malware magnet hasn't had an infection in well over 8 years, coincidence that I have had avast for over 8 years.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
Seems pretty clear to me , Windows is the malware magnet
Sorry but I think you're wrong. The anti-malware war is just like a contest between a sword and a shield. And no matter what shield you use - square, round or oval.

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »
This malware magnet hasn't had an infection in well over 8 years, coincidence that I have had avast for over 8 years.

But you have had to be saved by avast! from attacks on your system.

Windows is the main target not just because of sheer numbers of systems but because it is flawed and so easily taken down. If Windows forced users to only run in Limited User mode the vast majority of malware would be dead in the water. Malware propogates because of poor/sloppy user standards, you are more astute and avoid the problems but look at all the extra armour users are having to put on, read the signatures here on this forum and see the ridiculous number of security apps people are using in an attempt to stay safe.

I have had no infections on any system here for years but that is down to forethought and planning and preventing malware sites connecting to my router more than the apps I run on these machines.

Change to Linux and I have zero need for any of these things and there is no disc cleaning,defragging, endless checking ,resetting and improving the system, I just boot up and use my machines for their intended purpose.

The reason Unix,Linux BSD and OSx are not tagetted often is not down to numbers of systems, there are millions of users and servers out there, it is because it is a lot harder to write anything that will propogate on those systems. There is no registry to infect and the systems don't run in "root" , that is why if you look at the antivirus apps they basically check for Windows infections in email and files so they don't get passed on. Bottom line is the numbers of machines are there but the payoff for trying to write the malware code is going to be next to zero so the malware writers are going to find other targets.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Generally not the case, I tend to only get alerts when I'm investigating stuff in these forums. If I didn't do any of that then the alerts would be rarer than rocking horse droppings.

We all know why the *Nix aren't targeted, it is the same in business (and this is business, it is all about money), do you go after the niche market with less than 1% market share or do you go after the market share leader. But that doesn't mean we should use a *nix OS, if that doesn't suit your needs and for the majority of average users not very user friendly.

We are now seeing an increase in malware targeting OSX, to the point that Apple have now had to stop saying that it isn't vulnerable to malware.

Regardless of what OS you are using, practising safe hex will go a long way to keeping a user safer irrespective of the OS they are using and your choice of OS really has to be on the users needs/experience.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security